Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Hi all,

I'm contemplating getting the Retina MacBook pro, however I'm a bit concerned with the size.

I currently use a 13" MBP and I love the size but the new rMBP looks amazing. I take my MacBook to uni daily, so the size is great. However the rMBP is lighter than the current 13".

My question is for people who have upgraded from a 13" to the rMBP, how have you found the adjustment to the bigger size??

Or should I hold off for a few months to see whether a 13" retina comes out??

:):):)

ecnal

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
I have made the 13" to 15" change, and it's been great.
I do a fair bit of involved design work though, so the additional screen real estate is awesome.
For general web surfing though, I think the 13 was probably more convenient- but then again an ipad would be even better...

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Well, the rumor sites are saying that there may be a 13" rMPB released in October.

If you can soldier on with your tricked out current MBP until then, you can either try it out, or pick up a 15" rMPB refurb on the Apple site by then for a discount.

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I went from a 13" MacBook (Late 2008) unibody to a rMBP.

It's actually not that big. If you look at the bezel of the 13", it's quite big and you could easily put a 14" screen in there. The 15" is nicer for almost everything though I have to say it is a bit bigger then the 13" footprint, but not by much.

playsontheleft

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2012
I changed from a 13" MBP to the rMBP and haven't looked back once. I loved the 13" MBP but the rMBP makes it look like a toy. I absolutely love the added workspace and clarity when running at 1920x1200 and, without any added weight, the rMBP really runs rings around the 13" MBP in every way I can imagine. If you're ok with accommodating the extra 2" screen space when carrying it around, you won't regret getting a 15" rMBP.

RMSko

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I went from a 13" MBA to the rMBP and have to admit that I would have bought a 13" rMBP if it were available. However, the difference in size/weight between the MBA and the 13"cMPR is pretty significant and so the jump to 15" is more dramatic for me than the OP. The 15" rMBP is pretty big to me, but I just think 13" is the optimal size. It's really personal preference and so if a 13" rMBP does come out in October, I may consider selling my 15" rMBP and buying the 13" rMBP.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Haven't got the MBP yet but I am also coming from a 13" one. I've had a 15.4" before, and dimensions are unlikely to be an issue but the fact that the weight is reduced (although by like 20g) is just another + imo. As long as your bag supports it then there shouldn't be a problem right?

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Well, the rumor sites are saying that there may be a 13" rMPB released in October.

If you can soldier on with your tricked out current MBP until then, you can either try it out, or pick up a 15" rMPB refurb on the Apple site by then for a discount.

Not a bad idea

----------

Haven't got the MBP yet but I am also coming from a 13" one. I've had a 15.4" before, and dimensions are unlikely to be an issue but the fact that the weight is reduced (although by like 20g) is just another + imo. As long as your bag supports it then there shouldn't be a problem right?

Grr I have an awesome Hensley Lap-pack that won't fit the 15"

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
Hi all,

I'm contemplating getting the Retina MacBook pro, however I'm a bit concerned with the size.

I currently use a 13" MBP and I love the size but the new rMBP looks amazing. I take my MacBook to uni daily, so the size is great. However the rMBP is lighter than the current 13".

My question is for people who have upgraded from a 13" to the rMBP, how have you found the adjustment to the bigger size??

Or should I hold off for a few months to see whether a 13" retina comes out??

:):):)

i'm not a fan of the bigger size of all. yes the RMBP is lighter than the 15" mbp but its pretty much the same weight as my old 13" macbook. when i have to carry that plus my ipad and other things, its just extra weight i'd rather not have to shoulder every day to work and home.

if there were a 13" version i would have definitely chosen that instead.

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Personally, I'm not sure if I would have chosen the 13" rMBP if it came out. I personally love the 13" size (previously owned a 2009 13" MBP), but the rMBP is light enough that it isn't a pain to carry around. For the extra two inches, you end up getting quad-core and a dGPU. Who knows if the 13" will have that. Also, they use the space to give you a decent set of speakers. The sounds is a lot clearer than the previous 15" MBP. Sure, I do miss my 13" MBP from time to time, but the power of the rMBP makes the size difference worth it.

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
tmanto02,

You probably have, but did you go to an Apple store, close a rMBP, and pick it up? I'm thinking about making the same upgrade as you, and I went back and forth between the 13" and the rMBP checking size/weight. I actually felt my 13" was bulky after doing so.

PEN10k

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2012
Denmark
Hi,

I upgraded from a 2011 13" MPB to the new retina mbp, and it works perfectly.
It's not too big for me whatsoever. :)

This 15" is even lighter than the 13", so thats pretty awesome. :)

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
A Contrarian Viewpoint...

I switched from a 15" MBP to the 13" MBP. It's not just about weight: the dimensions of a 15" MBP make it just a bit too large for my style of traveling light...

Frankly, I think that the rMBP is much ado about very little. It costs a lot to gain an ultra high resolution display. But Apple fans love shiny new baubles proffered by the genius marketing department at Apple... :rolleyes:

I recommend that you try and resist the temptation to spend $2000+ on the rMBP until it has had time to "age" a bit in the real-world of day-to-day use. If you really want a Retina display and you prefer the 13" form factor it is very likely that a 13" Retina MBP is in the works.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I switched from a 15" MBP to the 13" MBP. It's not just about weight: the dimensions of a 15" MBP make it just a bit too large for my style of traveling light...

Frankly, I think that the rMBP is much ado about very little. It costs a lot to gain an ultra high resolution display. But Apple fans love shiny new baubles proffered by the genius marketing department at Apple... :rolleyes:

I recommend that you try and resist the temptation to spend $2000+ on the rMBP until it has had time to "age" a bit in the real-world of day-to-day use. If you really want a Retina display and you prefer the 13" form factor it is very likely that a 13" Retina MBP is in the works.

I would argue that the retina display is a more functional upgrade than other changes Apple's made to the MBP line (unibody, glass displays, etc..)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.