Have you seen this article?

dhdave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2001
NJ
Sorry if this was posted elsewhere already, but I thought this article was extremely intresting. It goes farther than I've yet seen.
MS scenarios analysing potential conflicts between an x86 MAC, and Windows platforms raise far different and more dangerous threats to the virtual Microsoft monopoly on desktops, than IBM ever did with OS/2. Apple, unlike IBM, knows a thing or two about ergonomics, and customer satisfaction, and poses a genuine threat that Microsoft cannot brush aside easily.
I realize the inquirer isn't exactly the pinnacle of journalistic integrity, but it does raise some interesting possiblilities and perhaps some even more interesting questions. Watching this unfold will be a nail-biter but at least it won't be dull.

dh

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
It really will not become dull here in the coming 6 months or so. Steve said about the processor strategy that he "likes to have options". So, he made no promise towards Moto to keep their chips. Steve will play out his "options" at latest at MWSF 03...

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
.be
I really hope that MOTO can deliver a powerfull chip soon.
It would be a pitty to see X running on an ugly wintel box.
I know that if Apple wants a bigger piece of the market, they need to do some drastic moves.
But see X running on an ugly wintel machine, that would make me sick.
If that's the case, I quit using a computer.
X belongs on Apple HW

If AMD delivers hammer to run on Apple HW, and X only on Apple HW, then I'm satisfied.

But I don't want to see some of those stupid peecee users say:
'hey dude, check out the nice new OS I got'

All Apple fanatics will see that day as the day they lost everything they fought for all those years.
At least I do.

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
.be
Sorry for the double post, accidently pushed the refresh button on on the 'submit page', and couldn't delete this post.
:eek:

mmcneil

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
OS X on X86

Originally posted by Geert

If AMD delivers hammer to run on Apple HW, and X only on Apple HW, then I'm satisfied.

But I don't want to see some of those stupid peecee users say:
'hey dude, check out the nice new OS I got'

All Apple fanatics will see that day as the day they lost everything they fought for all those years.
At least I do.
IMHO :D One of the primary underlying reasons for the joy of the Mac OS is that the hardware is a known commodity - i.e. plug and play works. Everything is tightly integrated. If Apple ports X to an X86 architecture, I suspect it will only work on an Apple branded box with Apple ROMs.

OS X for a generic white box would be harder to install and maintain than linux.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.