Have you seen this? Iphone shoots fashion photoshoot

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bluesdeluxe, Jul 5, 2010.

1. bluesdeluxe macrumors newbie

I found this video last night and thought everyone would get a kick out of it. They do a full blown fashion shoot with a HOT model! Everything was shot on the older iphone 3Gs but the photos look amazing. What do you guys think?

http://fstoppers.com/iphone

[​IMG]

2. paulisme macrumors 6502

More proof that it's not the camera; it's the photographer.

3. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I did see it and it is great, I also noted that it was done with an iPhone 3Gs, I wonder what it would be like with an iPhone 4?

Did you see that part way through the shoot he got a phone call from a solicitor? That's not something that would happen using an SLR! :D

4. nednarm macrumors 6502

wow that's really good. I laughed when he said "this proves you don't need loads of equipment for great pictures" even though he used £'s worth of lighting.

5. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

6. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

Looks more like it proves that you need at least two of the following:

• Good Camera
    • Good Lighting
    • Good Photographer

7. bluesdeluxe thread starter macrumors newbie

I think good lighting and a good subject matter is all you need for a good photograph. And for the lighting, they are using constant lights (not strobes) so you could actually do this with bed sheets and light bulbs. I think they said something about the garage lamps from lowes being brighter than the professional light correct? Might have to watch it again

8. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

The color temperature would not be the same with regular lightbulbs, to achieve the results they got you need professional lighting equipment and someone who is really good with lighting.

9. advan031 macrumors 6502

And Photoshop

10. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I agree. Pro photographers have lots of lighting at their disposal. They also have people who touch up their photos. You can get outside shots without having to invest in lots of lighting, but indoor lighting is always terrible and will never match that of a pro's "shop".

Lol, good video.

Loved the part - "How's the service with the iPhone?" , "Umm, not as good as Verizon.". Hehe :)

11. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

And a good model.

Probably won't look as good in print but still nice to see.

12. bluesdeluxe thread starter macrumors newbie

I think what a lot of people forget to remember is that so much of the media we see is low res images online. Having grainless images small on websites means nothing when, in this case, the iphone could produce high enough quality for the web. Most clients look right past any technical issue and notice the girl, or the product, or the overall scene.

As for photoshop, this video shows you the photoshop and by most standards it is really really subtle. There is no liquifying, hair removal, elements added, lighting changed. The only thing done is some skin smoothing, extending of the background, and color adjusting. Photoshop def has it's place and is used 100% of the time on images you see in the commercial world (even on apple product shots) but it's not that big of a deal.

And about the equipment, you really could have done this whole photoshoot with probably $300 or less in photo equipment. I'm sure their tripod costs hundreds but with stuff you find at Lowes or Home Depot you can do quite a bit. I think that's the big idea behind this video. We are just lucky enough that they choose the iphone 3gs and not something like the Evo!

13. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

They really aren't that great...

you can't control the App or SS on an iPhone so no DOF or stabalization, you absolutley would have to use a tripod and know what your doing with lighting..

also these images could never be printed, way too low of res..

most people will say they are great but those in the industry would have to disagree

14. bluesdeluxe thread starter macrumors newbie

Doesn't he hold a print of the image up at the end?

And what is great about fashion photography? I find most of it is so ridiculous in nature that you can pretty much do whatever you want and it is considered "fashion". It may not be the best fashion photos ever taken but dare I say it may be the best fashion photos taken on an iphone ever taken. That can't be an easy feat

15. i-Engineer macrumors member

Of course it is not the camera, it is the photographer. However, try to make a photography session without those lighting. Even if you have Nikon D3x, you will not got an outstanding results. When it comes to photography, it's all about lights. Understanding the light will open unexpected horizon to your photographical knowledge

16. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

That and Photoshop as the other person added.

17. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

If they had done the photo shoot with lighting that costs less then $300 I would agree with you. However, this photo shoot was NOT done with lighting that cheap. I am fairly sure that those lights would cost over $2000. Lighting from Home Depot is just NOT the same as studio lighting. As others have said, the color temperatures are totally different.

Yes, many photographers get hung up on all the technical stuff. But there are some effects that no matter how good you are, can not be achieved with poor quality equipment.

I agree with them that you can get pretty nice pictures with an iPhone. But, you can't print those pictures in a magazine or billboard. They would look horrible. But for the web, sure they look ok.

Looking at those pictures they are honestly fairly grainy and one of them looks very overexposed. The one of the model from a distance with the blue dress has no detail on the dress at all. Its so dark and grainy.

18. joneildu macrumors member

Equipment makes more of a difference than people would care to admit. With that said, having an eye for composition, framing, and exposure with crap equipment will be better than someone with $10,000 wrapped up in a body and glass and no artistic bones in their bodies. With crappy digital equipment, you're going to have a lot of color fringe and digital noise. That's really the difference between a $2700 5D Mk II and a Rebel XS (well, that and crop factor).

You can make compelling exposures with crap equipment. Hell, there's a book out by respected photographer composed exclusively of cell phone camera shots. The title underscores fundamental photography. "The Best Camera is the One That's With You". I can't tell you how many times I've been driving, see a compelling exposure waiting to be snapped, only to remember my gear isn't in the car.