Having a terrible time with my G-Drive Q 1TB with mounting to my iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pdxa4, Jan 28, 2009.

1. pdxa4 macrumors 6502

I purchased a Q-Drive Q 1TB in Dec for my 24" iMac, purchased it at a Apple Store.

I was connected with 800firewire cable, all seemed to be working ok, time machine etc.
    But in the past month the drive has become a nightmare, it will just disconnect at random. At that point i cannot get it to mount, unless I reboot my iMac.

I have tried to connect with 400firewire and usb2, but the same problem persists...

Needless to say I am somewhat annoyed, it was not cheap...

Anyone have any advice on what I should do, I'm scared to go to G-Tech for support as what I could find appears to be a nightmare. Would I be able to return this to the Apple store that I bought it from ?

Thanks everyone...much appreciated :apple:

2. pdxa4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm really in a bind as what to do next...

3. pdxa4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well in case anyone else is having similar issues I thought that I would update this post of mine...

The G-Tech harddrive would no longer mount under any circumstance to my iMac...
    I went back to the Apple store and they were very helpful, they also could not get it working...So we exchanged it for a Western Digital Studio Edition II 1TB unit instead...

I've had good experience with the WD drives before, so hopefully this one stays trouble free...

:)

4. hotmetal macrumors member

Nice to see your problem has been resolved, and that you posted back. On some forums, people get eggy when no-one answers, but you're cooler than that…

I've heard that kind of problem with LaCie drives, and it seem to be traced back to a cheapo power supply which degrades with use. Good luck with the WD, I don't know from personal experience but I read on Shirt Pocket's SuperDuper! (disc cloner software) site that WD Mybooks have been known to have problems being bootable. If you're only using the drive as storage rather than a bootable clone for emergencies, you'll be OK. Some people on the SD site said they had booted successfully from WD drives, but Dave Nanian (from SuperDuper) says he doesn't recommend them for bootable use.

I was interested to read your post as I am looking for a reliable USB2/FW drive that is bootable on Macs, and pretty much every manufacturer seems to have bad reports of one kind or another. Yours is the first bad thing I've read about G-Tech though. I was looking at a Maxtor One-Touch 4+ until I realised that they're now owned by Seagate, who seem to have gone from the world's best to the world's worst recently (on Macs at least). Maybe I should just eeny-meeny-miny-mo it blind-folded?!