Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
Do you guys have websites for your apps/ company?

Why?

I want create one but just want to know what value would be.

What motivated you guys to make websites.

Thanks

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Apple requires you enter a website when submitting an app. They have rejected apps for using a website unrelated to the app or the developer. Plus, some potential customers check the website, and if it doesn't look "real", might not download/buy your app because of the fishy smell.

So put up at least a one page semi-professional looking web page, with info about the app and the developer. Link from your site to the iTunes page for your app to make it easier for impulse shoppers to buy. Support info and a contact form gives potential customers more warm and fuzzies. Google indexing of your website makes info about your app fill more of their search results. I recommend buying at least a cheap domain to use for both this web site URL and your reverse DNS app Bundle ID. Should be able to do this for only a dozen or so bucks per year.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
A Twitter account properly set up and related to the app is usually sufficient.

Also handy for feedback and troubleshooting.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
From a shopping standpoint, another value of a site is when you are trying to get a sense for the app and the info on iTunes isn't enough. For example, extra pics or a video. You get to show more than apple allows.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
It is also nice to have your app site pop up when people are searching for your apps on google.

I just have a simple wordpress site that works well for me.

Last edited:

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
It is also nice to have your app site pop up when people are searching for your apps on google.

If a reasonable site doesn't pop up when I search for an app on google, I assume the developer is a nobody, someone who doesn't really care about their apps, or possibly even an app thief (it happens) who wants to hide.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
If a reasonable site doesn't pop up when I search for an app on google, I assume the developer is a nobody, someone who doesn't really care about their apps, or possibly even an app thief (it happens) who wants to hide.

That's good to know. Now I just need to polish up my site a bit haha.

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010

Good thing i've got a site now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.