Having an abortion when no one called me a slut

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by /user/me, Apr 18, 2012.

1. /user/me, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012

/user/me macrumors 6502

hey all,
    This was a beautifully done article in the New York Times. Enjoy :) :)

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Great article.

Would that every woman faced with the need for an abortion could have as good a perspective and experience.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Your womb used to belong to the Church, now it might also belong to the State.

Good luck with your other bodily functions.

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm sorry but I just can't agree with the slut (yep I said it) in the article. If you don't want the child give it up for adoption. The author had the right to live why shouldn't her child?

Everyone knows how sex works, and everyone knows that contraception isn't 100% effective. You take the risk.

5. /user/me thread starter macrumors 6502

What about a persons right to control their body?

6. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I am pro-choice. However, it must be pointed out that there is no such thing as "right to control your body." It makes for a nice sentence or protest sign, but there is no inherent right to control your body in this regard. If there were then there would be no problem with elective aborting at 39 weeks.

7. /user/me thread starter macrumors 6502

You can't argue that there's not a right to control your body as long as people are able to have vaccinations waived because of a religious belief. If you didn't have a say in what happened to your body, then you'd be subject to whatever the physician wants to do with you.

8. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I'm sorry but I just cant agree with you (yep I said it). If you want the child born adopt it your self. You have the right to control your body, why can't the author?

Everyone knows morals aren't shared, and that 'life at conception' isn't a 100% effective argument. You take your moral stance, but take no moral responsibility for the life you demand be brought into the world.

9. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Are you registered with the Selective Service?
    Are you legally allowed to inject heroin or some other drug?
    Are you legally allowed to kill yourself?

10. /user/me thread starter macrumors 6502

A bump of the fist good sir. That's a novel idea. What of we give all the possibly aborted babies to the pro lifers who want to save them so badly. :)

----------

Yes
    Yes
    And yes
    The pesky details are getting caught. It's not illegal to be high, but it is illegal to buy and possess drugs and paraphernalia.

11. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Everyone who has sex and doesn't want kids is a slut? I understand not wanting to have sex before marriage for religious or social reasonings, but you're now a slut for having sex WHILE married for non-reproductive reasons? Someone get this guy a time machine because he seems incapable of living in any decade past the 1950s.

The abortion debate has been beaten into the ground, so it would be a waste of time to argue abortion with you, but if you seriously believe what you wrote in your first sentence, you are lost as a human being IMO.

12. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I just did, successfully.

Whoa whoa whoa, nice shooting' Tex. To put it another way, you believe that as long as people can waive vaccinations because of their religious beliefs, people can have elective 39th-week abortions. If I have misstated your point, feel free to correct. However, that is exactly the point I made to which you responded.

Ah, the ole if-it's-not-A-then-it-absolutely-must-be-Q. There are lots of laws that prevent you from doing anything you want to your body. For example, if you unsuccessfully attempt suicide you just might find yourself having an involuntary stay at a psychiatric hospital. Want to legally snort the blow someone left at your house in private? N.o.p.e.

Not sure what point you are making about a physician's directive. There are no laws I know of that require someone to follow all of their physicians recommendations, or even any of their physicians recommendations.

To start over, you can be pro-choice - as I am - but support it without the inept and untrue "YOU CAN DO ANYTHING WITH YOUR BODY YOU WANT TO!!!" because that simply isn't true. If that is indeed what you believe, then I would be interested in your opinion of an elective 39th-week abortion.

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Spoken like someone who has never and will never be pregnant. Am I right?

The number of men who comment is these threads bowls me over. It's easy to talk about something that you don't have to do. And judge others for the decisions they make.

Get over yourselves.

14. /user/me thread starter macrumors 6502

:D

If you are mandated by law to get vaccinations, you need to get them by law. It doesn't matter unless you get them waived according to the rights of controlling your body.

The argument about the 39 week abortion is invalid. At 37 weeks a fetus is considered to be at term, so if it's an abortion after its born then it's murder. If its before it's born then it's ok.

15. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Have self control and don't have sex, or make the guy wear a condom, or get tubes tied, etc. Its called being a mature adult and not making an innocent life suffer due to the actions of an irresponsible adult.

See above post. There is no difference between the author aborting a life and having a toddler and killing it. Both the fetus and the toddler are living things.

Again, if she didn't want to have kids she should have taken real preventative measures. She doesn't mention the contraception used or if it was even used that time.

Yes, I am so lost because I don't agree with killing a human being out of convenience.

Most women are smart enough to know that if they have sex with a man there is a possibility of pregnancy. Sorry the author wasn't one of those intelligent enough to act responsibly with this knowledge.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm with you there.

What's wrong men? No self control?

No sex for men outside of marriage.

Period.

Problem solved.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

18. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I hear this line of reasoning all the time and it is a weak if not completely false logic. Aside from being a morally corrupt sentiment, it is an incorrect assumption that an embryo is a person. Until there is a brain, it is not a person. Nobody here is arguing for late-term abortion.

19. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Maybe the men want to keep their child instead of killing him/her. The father and the child never get a say in the choice of saving or taking an innocent child's life.

EDIT: No further comment. I am not getting sucked into another abortion thread.

20. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Did you not read any of the OP?

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I was responding to the post about "self control".

It seems to me that men have too little of it.

It's time we took responsibility for where we place our penises.

22. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm well aware that the original article states that, but its funny how she never mentions what exactly it is and never specifically says if in this case she used it, she just mentioned using it.

Was it a condom? Birth control pills? The "pull out" method? We'll never know.

23. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Moynak I think I get the sentiment, a large amount of the onus is on women to carry the child, it can be a very emotional and physically demanding time with long term repercussions on the woman's health and lifestyle. However fertility issues do involve men; especially the ones that care for the women and/or the health and well being of the potential child.

I guess everyone will have to consult you on effective birth control methods then for your approval...:rolleyes:

Oh darn, then I was wondering what your stance would be if the men did not want the responsibility of raising a child when abortion was an option.

24. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Apologies for not agreeing that discarding a human life is an effective means of birth control.

25. /user/me thread starter macrumors 6502

Nobody ever said that its a form of birth control.