Having ExpressCard critical to HD video editing? (deletion evidence of phasing out?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rawdawg, Jun 8, 2009.

1. rawdawg macrumors 6502

I really wanted the 15" but now have to consider if ExpressCard is worth me getting the 17". I heard Apple stated only 1% use the ExpressCard, my current Mac doesn't have it so I have no experience. I just wanted a MBP that would include all the Professional features I need for years to come.

That being said, how important is ExpressCard? Certainly it's more important that SD but that's another thread. Please stick to the subject. It seems either:
    1.) Apple is phasing out ExpressCard, leaving it only in 17" for those that still need it. or
    2.) The 17" is now the *real* MBP and the non-ExpressCard laptops are the new standard in inferiority.

I edit HD in FCP. I also do heavy still graphics work with my 5Dmark2--time lapses and such. I'm guessing I should still go with the 512MB VRAM. But what about the ExpressCard? These past weeks waiting for WWDC I thought future use of eSATA in ExpressCard may be useful but don't know about anything else.

I started a thread earlier asking about this but am afraid my subject wasn't too the point enough and it's not a rant against the SD thread.

Any video/photo people out there have thoughts on the importance of ExpressCard?

2. Mezzanine224 macrumors member

I'm an editor, and most of my editing is done with tapeless P2 footage. I edit on my Mac Pro and am looking to go mobile with a new MBP. The only reason I want an Express Card slot is for ESATA HDDs and to ingest P2 footage via an Express to PCMCIA adapter.

Other than that, I can't see any major reason why a lack of an Express Card slot would be a deal breaker.

3. Schrambal macrumors newbie

As I edit a lot of material shot in sony SXS EX cards the removal of the Expresscard slot from the 15" range is indeed a big deal to me.

With the removal of the firewire 400 port from the new macbook pro line and the option of a matte screen only available on the 17" model Apple is basically giving editors that want to stick to 15" the finger.

Very dissapointing news that the expresscard slot is the next thing to go...

4. lhotka macrumors regular

Wireless 3G cards and compact flash card readers are two more key uses. USB is just too darn slow.

5. HBOC macrumors 68020

until 3.0 arrives, but that is atleast a year away. I am sure apple will adopt that asap.

6. rawdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

Well eSATA HDD and P2 & SxS ingestion are in fact pretty major reasons, right? Isn't SxS designed perfectly to fit ExpressCard? Is there any other ways to ingest footage? Can you even do it via USB 2.0 or FW800?

I still can't fight the feeling that the 17" now is the only true MacBookPro if in fact Apple has any future intention to continue using that feature.

Sounds like the editors out there really treasure the ExpressCard. I'm seriously buying a MBP tomorrow morning so advice is greatly appreciated. 17" was bigger than I hoped to carry around with me (and I have a 24" external Dell for when I'm at home).

ExpressCard = dealbreaker?

7. zorahk macrumors 6502

Look, the fact is, it's not that 1% use it.

It's that if you really wanted a god damn card reader, YOU COULD'VE BOUGHT ONE THAT FIT THE EXPRESS CARD.

Also, why only SD?

8. KJdanReuben macrumors regular

If you really want ExpressCard and a 15" screen, jut get the previous model. You can pick them up for cheaper now. I have a previous gen unibody MBP and use a FW400 ExpressCard with Final Cut. I don't do anything high end, but I will miss the ExpressCard - it sure made expanding much easier. I think the inclusion of an SD card reader was stupid.

9. Mezzanine224 macrumors member

I agree. For me, the new MPB isn't a great solution, hence why I will be going to the Apple Store tomorrow to buy the previous generation MBP.

For me, no ExpressCard = dealbreaker. For some editors (maybe the OP), it might not be.