Having issues exchanging my phone through AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lsutigerfan1976, Oct 15, 2012.

1. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

I need to exchange the Iphone 5 i got because of the amount of issues i am having with it. I purchased it online through AT&T premier. The stores flat out refuse to exchange the phone for me. Even if they have stock available, because they say that stock is reserved for sales only. I called AT&T customer service and they said i have to go through Apple. They did say i can return the phone to AT&T for a refund, but it would be a restocking fee of $35.00. Or i can get an exchange for another phone (like a Samsung Galaxy) and they would waive the restock fee. Apple 800 number says they require me to have a card they can charge me the full price of the iphone, and it would be refunded once they receive my old phone back (while the exchange is processed). Problem is i dont have a credit card they can authorize that has that amount to charge as of now. And they have no stock right now in Apple stores to try and change it through an Apple store.

2. JesusChrist macrumors newbie

Guess you'll have to wait, or try the Genius Bar since they have stock set aside for replacements.

3. lsutigerfan1976 thread starter macrumors 68000

I have heard that from other ppl. That the apple store has stock just for exchanges. But each time i call, they say the are completely out of stock. I have a white iphone 5, i don't care at this point if they returned it, and gave me a black one. I just need something that works. I cant even make calls from the phone, since no one can hear me.

4. JesusChrist macrumors newbie

Most likely, you need to be more clear that you are coming in for a Genius Bar appointment, not a purchase exchange.

5. lsutigerfan1976 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah it is just a pain. I don't live right around the corner from an Apple store. Apple said that i can make an appt with a genius bar, or whatever you call it. They will troubleshoot the phone, restore it whatever. And then if i am still having trouble, i can come back. And if worse comes to worse, they can exchange it. But not before i troubleshoot it first. So its kind of hard for me, since i live more than an hr away, plus the gas would kill me. Having to go there once so they can restore the darn thing, which i already tried. And again, to tell them, its not working still. And meanwhile, AT&T is trying to convince me to swap it with an android phone (by waiving the restock fee), since they said they have so many issues with the iphone 5. I dont want an android though.

6. JesusChrist macrumors newbie

Yeah, it's called an appointment, and yeah, you'll want to do that to solve your problem. It really is pretty simple.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Apple does the warranty and replacement of your phone. Not the carrier.
    Somehow you need to get it to them to have it serviced or exchanged.
    You can do it by mail also if you don't want to go in person.

8. OatmealRocks, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2012

OatmealRocks macrumors 6502a

If not there is a new process for AT&T customers who are having issues.. but if you want to jump the queue and not go through the 'normal' process and your issue is more urgent then go HERE and enroll.

9. ZipZap macrumors 601

The apple stores do have stock for exchanges and repairs but will likely no say so if you call.

Just make an appointment and take it to the store.

10. kalexn macrumors 6502

You are going to have to make an appointment and take it to the store. If you have an appointment they will see you and then they will more than likely fix it or return it. If it isn't working where people can hear you they will probably give you a new one. AT&T has nothing to do with a defective phone, that would be an Apple issue. Like other people said the Genius Bar has stock set aside for replacements.

11. hkfan24 macrumors regular

That's odd. You shouldn't have any issues getting an exchange from AT&T. They can easily order you one and then exchange yours when it comes in.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It doesnt work like that.
    The carrier doesnt exchange or replace iphones under warranty. That's the manufacturers job.
    And why would he want to wait 4 weeks for AT&T to get another one in?