Having Issues Trying to Connect my 2011 MBP to my Analog TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GorramDoctor, Jan 8, 2013.

1. GorramDoctor macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I have an analog Panasonic TV I'm trying to connect to my MacBook Pro. I have the Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter, and a converter box which connects the to the adapter and TV. I've got an S-Video cable going from the converter box to the TV, but my image quality is horrible. I've also included pictures (http://imgur.com/a/KkPZA#KljZk) of the adapter and converter box in case there is some obvious problem with them.

I have tried to use the converter box to make adjustments but unfortunately it is very minimal and has six buttons (four for adjusting left, right, up, down, one for zoom, and one menu button - can't see what menu options come up because of screen flickering). I bought it off of eBay so I don't have a proper instruction manual for it (they sent me one for another model) and it doesn't have any model number on it.

I have also tried adjusting the hertz, but the lowest I can go is 56, so I'm not sure if that could be somehow related to the problem?

The Mini DisplayPort adapter is plugged into the ThunderBolt port on my MBP.

The specs for my MBP are as follows:
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro 8,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 4 GB

I'm running OS X Snow Lion (I believe) 10.7.5

I found a page with the technical specs of the TV I'm using: http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/CT-27SX10?t=specs&support#tabs

I'm not very tech savvy so it's entirely possible I missed an adapter or something but I'm really at a loss. I've posted on a couple of other forums and done many internet searches but I can't seem to get an answer.

Thank you in advance!