having itunes at work and home with everything. Any issues?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PennCentralFan, Sep 20, 2013.

1. PennCentralFan macrumors regular

PennCentralFan

So my home computer is a mac book pro is my only computer with my music and backups and everything on my iphone 5. I would like to use my work computer to buy, and backup and install updates such as ios7 on my iphone. My work computer is a windows machine with the latest version of itunes.

So all I have to do is authorize my work computer and I can have a copy of everything on my work computer also? There will be no problems? It's just like having it at home?

2. kevroc macrumors 6502

Yeah, I don't think you want to do that...

You could set up iTunes to use to purchase stuff, and set the iPhone 5 to auto download purchased items. That would be okay, but for syncing you only want 1 master. You wouldn't be able to replicate all of your content from your Windows machine to your Mac so they are identical enough to sync with your phone without hiccups. From what I've found it comes down to how iTunes on a Mac names files/folders versus Windows. Bands with hypens (like AC-DC) or special characters or parenthesis get alternate spellings or truncated on Windows and on a Mac they are different. So you get a lot of missing files and stuff.

I have recently tried using iTunes match on my iPad so I don't sync ANY music, just apps and video's and am having better success with that, but I wouldn't trust it 100%. I'm also using iCloud Backup so the content that's actually syncing is minimal.

3. PennCentralFan thread starter macrumors regular

PennCentralFan

OK, thanks for the input. I'll do it at home on the mac.