Having to work on Thanksgiving should be illegal.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by moonman239, Nov 24, 2014.

1. moonman239, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014

moonman239 macrumors 68000

Unless, of course, one is an emergency worker or perhaps a utility repairman. These jobs are necessary. Also, I suppose we could make an exception for those who need to be disciplined.

By "having to work on Thanksgiving," I mean having to take it as a condition of employment. Which is to say, with the exceptions listed above, no employer should be allowed to say "work on Thanksgiving, or no employment."

2. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Agreed! I normally don't subscribe to the Wal-Mart bashing that goes on here, but curses upon them for opening on Thanksgiving Day rather than letting their employees celebrate the season with their families.

3. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

unfortunate, yes. illegal, no. i worked at a company that operated 24/7. whenever possible, we would try to shut down on major holidays, but if projects are due, people must work. either get another job or run your own business.

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I know many turkey's with the same sentiments.

5. samiwas Suspended

Illegal? No, of course not.

Heavily frowned upon and not supported under most circumstances? Absolutely.

6. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    It's not just WalMart any longer, but a host of stores including Kohls, Sears, Macy's, and others.

On the other hand, if consumers refused to shop on Thanksgiving Day, the stores wouldn't open. Sadly, that's not the case.

I'll do my part, though, and spend time with my family the entire day.

7. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

8. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I worked at a Pizza Hut several years ago that decided they were going to start opening on Thanksgiving. I think they made a total of $500 that day. The following year they did it again. After that year, they realized it wasn't worth it. Last I hear, they sent a notice saying that time off to spend with family on that day was more important then profits.

9. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

While I respect your opinion, I disagree that a due date provides any justification for forcing employees to work on Thanksgiving. If the company wants people to work on Thanksgiving, then it should offer some form of overtime pay in exchange for its employees voluntarily working on Thanksgiving. The company can always call the client and explain that because of x, y, and/or z, that project won't be done by Friday. A good client will be willing to push the deadline further into the future, if the company has a good excuse.

10. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

National holidays should be paid at an overtime rate, at the very least.

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

firemen, police, and ems all work on thanksgiving. It would be stupid to pass a law to make it illegal to work on a holiday.

12. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

I both agree and thank them for sacrificing their time on national holidays for the public's good.

Like I said in the OP, it's generally the people working nonessential jobs (such as those in retail) that should be legally entitled to have the day off, without fear of being fired and, I add, receiving any other form of disciplinary action (unless they deserve it.)

13. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

no one is forcing anyone. like i said, if you don't like it, get another job. also, i worked in the legal industry, so dates are set by the court and they are non-negotiable. overtime varies state to state. in CA employers are not required to pay any premium for holidays although at our company, we paid 1.5x. we also gave those employees working on a holiday the opportunity to take another day off in lieu of that. life isn't fair sometimes, but you are complaining on a internet forum, so this is a first world issue.

14. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I refuse to go to the movies with my in-laws every year on Thanksgiving because I don't want to be the reason people have to leave their families to go to work. However it should not be illegal. It's unfortunate that the trend is going the wrong way with more businesses opening on Thanksgiving--and increasingly earlier in the day--so it doesn't look to change anytime soon but I know a few people that actually like to work on holidays.

15. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

While it would be easy for me to walk into the local Toys 'R' Us to buy gifts for my brother's kids, I absolutely REFUSE to do so this year. They're opening at 5 PM on Thanksgiving day. We don't eat our main meal until after then. Even the grocery stores close early, that would be the ONE place I would think people would REALLY want to have open.

All my gift shopping will be done online this year.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

17. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

If you find businesses being open on Thanksgiving offensive, then don't patronize their establishments. Easy peasy.

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

boo hoo

you say it should be illegal except for this and that profession....talk about ironic

welcome to the real world

19. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, you can choose not to take the job, but losing a day off on Thanksgiving should not be legally allowed to be a condition of employment, unless the business is disciplining said employee for a past action. That's what I'm saying.

Edit: I make an exception for police, firefighters, EMT's, etc.

In cases like yours, I'd be apt to push our legislators to forbid the courts from setting due dates that one would reasonably expect to cause some employees to have to work on Thanksgiving. It's not like somebody's going to die, or a house is going to be broken into or eaten by flames if that project isn't done the day after Thanksgiving.

Actually, I don't have what you might call a 9-to-5 job. I can clock in and out any time I want. But I would call making a good employee work on Thanksgiving extortion, unless they somehow help the community survive Thanksgiving.

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

most states are at will employment. Meaning you can be let go for ANY reason

21. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

Waaaaaahhhhhh. What's funny is that the people complaining about this are the same people bitching about the minimum wage.

22. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I wanted to work thanksgiving. They are still trying to send people home and I'm like "Holiday pay, nope".

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It is a cheap TV that really isn't a deal to begin with.

http://www.courant.com/politics/hc-conn-lawmakers-target-thanksgiving-sales-20141120-story.html

24. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Do you know why the stores are open Thanksgiving? Because the shoppers show up and spend money.

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Would these people also jump off a bridge for a deal?

I don't get how retailers are saying they make more money on Thanksgiving. If they were all closed it's not like they would lose sales. They would just have more sales on Black Friday. People are not suddenly thinking oh damn stores are closed, guess that was the only shopping day of the year.