Having used the S6, I appreciate my iPhone so much more now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Harmonious Zen, May 2, 2015.

1. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

I've used an S6 extensively for a while and the verdict to me is clear. The iPhone wins hands down in user experience. Everything from the quality of the display to the smoothness of the scrolling is just so superior on my iPhone. The disparity isn't obvious when just using the two phones for a few minutes. But if you take the time to use both for quite a while, the differences are fairly evident. Here are just a few gripes about the S6

Display color is way too saturated. WAY too saturated. It's been like this for several generations and I don't understand how people can stand it.

Despite having loads of RAM, the interface STILL lags constantly. Scrolling on a page is nowhere near as smooth as on iOS on my iPhone. It's just pitiful for a device that has so much more hardware-wise than the iPhone's

The same app on Android is noticeably inferior compared to the iOS version. This has been improved significantly as of late, but by and large, iOS apps just feel more polished.

Anyway, all this just makes me appreciate my iPhone more. S6 is a lovely looking phone and I think Samsung did well with the external design of the phone, but the overall experience doesn't match the iPhone's.

2. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

Scrolling through text in the browser looks so bad on the S6. I don't get why this is — the software, the display, or both? it didn't look that bad on the Galaxy S I used (and loved) for years; or even on the S4 I owned more recently. (Or maybe I've just gotta used to how good scrolling looks in Safari on the iPhone screen.)

3. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

The only thing I envy about the S6 is the camera, it's LPDDR4 Ram and its UFS Flash Memory - all of which are the best in the industry.

4. ratigator macrumors regular

ratigator

I had a similar reaction when I tried the HTC One M8 for a week. It was the first time I even tried Android, so I wasn't sure if it was just that I needed more time to get used to it, but it felt so good going back to the 5s. I didn't like the interface, the display, and scrolling was far from smooth.

5. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

You can calibrate the gamma in the settings, to improve color reproduction.

6. Paradoxally macrumors 65816

It's like what Bertrand Serlet said about Vista's bubbly new logo at WWDC 2006:

But you know, underneath it all, it's still Windows

You can make the best phone on the planet, but if runs Touchwiz, it will always lag.

7. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I do think it's something that the s6 still seems to have trouble with reloading with 3 gb ram.

8. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

I'd say it's also Lollipop, 5.1.1 should fix the memory leak issues and maybe then I'll look into the S6 till the 6S comes out lol

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

iPhone ftw. The curved screen edges on the S6 look pretty sick.

10. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

I started a new job 3 months ago and they gave me an s5. I truly went in with an open mind, and hoped that I would enjoy some aspects of the Android phone. Unfortunately, I absolutely hate it. Even google maps on there is a mess for me, and I travel a lot during the day. I have friends who love the s5 and s6 so I know it's a personal preference, but I've finally been able to make a judgment on what mine is after finally having an opportunity to use the Samsung phone.

11. Luis G. macrumors member

1. Display can be changed under settings-> Screen-> Screen mode. Turn it to Basic mode and you have the best panel for color reproduction, contrast, etc available in the market.
    2. Agreed chrome is horrible, i haven't had issues with Samsung provided browser.
    However so does the iphone 6 on chrome unless you use safari. You could try to blame Chrome on the iPhone but Chrome uses the same webkit as Safari so nothing there but Apple coding.
    3. I wouldn't say lags terribly, I think the iPhone 6 has it worse it just tends to have hiccups more gracefully, although when it comes to freezing it doesn't do it gracefully (screen becomes unresponsive, home button stops working. I am a pretty heavy user, I've seen multiple times my iPhone 6 freeze, stutter, and lag all from where it's managing it's memory, and or slowing down to storage IOPs limitations.
    Or I could talk about how I can be using Safari with 7+ tabs open, and start seeing tabs refresh in the SAME instance I am using Safari. Literally tabs I just created switched out for minute needs to reload when I switch back to it.

As long as you are happy with your device that's all that matters.

May I ask who you have the S6 with? (Verizon, Tmo, AT&T, Sprint?)