Hawaii just became the first US state to pass a bill supporting basic income —

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jul 6, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/hawaii-just-became-first-us-185000124.html
    how many one way tickets to Hawaii after this??
    :p

2. samcraig macrumors P6

3. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Ummmm..... yeah. OK then. Where do I sign up? :D

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

5. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Hawaii is a unique situation. Everything there is incredibly expensive. Even the most basic things. The natives are very poor and can't afford much.
    I am surprised that it took so long to get something like this passed. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

6. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I think Hawaii is in a unique position that wouldn’t apply to other states. Doing zero research on my end I’m willing to bet the majority of their economy is tourism and as a fairly isolated distant island state it would be highly cost prohibitive to put any serious growth industries there. So I have no idea what residents are supposed to do there for a living. At the same time you probably have the rich driving up property value for their second (or more) homes they only vacation at.

7. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

What the holy ****?

Where are the funds coming from to support this? Given the cost of living in Hawaii is on the high side, the tax dollars needed to support such an idea would be on the insane side.
    Then you will have to deal with those who will choose to not enter the workforce because the state will take care of them regardless.

These types of policies only work in social democracies with economic policies geared towards state control of basic utilities and services. Capitalistic ideas can still operate under these conditions, but in very limited form.
    Basically speaking, Hawaii would become a welfare state.
    it would also chase away any future investment in the state from corporations.

8. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

Finland is already doing it experimentally. What's wrong with elevating overall society? Not everyone is created equally, not everyone has same capabilities. It varies. Some extremely rich people didn't "work hard" for it. Maybe they inherited it, maybe they made their money work hard, some don't have any skills yet own millions of dollars and so on. Many have have and works hard yet struggles. I am not saying there shouldn't be rich people or that their wealth should be taken forcefully and distributed to others. If the top 1% contributes slightly more, or if the government takes a more fairer approach (instead of cutting tax for already uber wealthy folks, giving little to nothing to lower/middle class), we can have a much better society. There will be few taking advantage of the system but overall it will benefit whole society. What's bad about that?

THis mentality of, work hard = become rich, or if you don't work = you die is fundamentally flawed, wrong on many levels.

Who is a bigger thief? One that steals $5 bread or one that evades his tax dues of thousands or millions of dollars?

Full article -
    Why do we think poor people are poor because of their own bad choices?

9. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

US and Japanese tourism would help pay for it I am sure. Everything on Maui and Oahu is crazy expensive. The big island and Kauai aren't that bad, but don't get as much tourist traffic.

As an aside if there was anywhere you would want to be homeless Hawaii is pretty high on the list as far as weather is concerned...

10. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Maybe don't become a Hawaiian beach bum just quite yet. All the bill does is create a group that will think about the topic.

11. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Yes it's expensive since everything has to be 'shipped' in. So it adds to the costs of most things. Also remember Honolulu at least has a large homeless population because the environment makes it a little more possible. Seeing makeshift camps on beaches isn't uncommon, which leads to police chasing them off, for people who are allowed to camp.

It isn't so much a 'native' thing though as it's anyone living in Honolulu who couldn't keep pace.

I say this because I know a few of the 'natives' o_O via extended family, and they are very good about taking care of their own no matter what.

12. darksithpro macrumors regular

Bingo. Never seen so many homeless living on the beach.

13. mollyc macrumors 6502

We've been to Oahu twice, and I've often wondered how the homeless can even afford to get there in the first place. I assume some might be military from the local bases, but certainly not all of them.

14. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Tourism and military. Significant influx of military money.
    http://www.cochawaii.org/military-impact-in-hawaii/

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

So, you pay taxes, then the government turns around and gives you some of it back? :confused:

Why not just give everyone a reduction in their taxes and be done with it?

16. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Ever been to California? Lol

17. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Try San Diego. :cool:

18. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Probably some got out of the military, others may have seen their money running out and gone there for the weather and now can't afford to leave. But I would guess the majority of them were born there or living there before their luck ran out and something put them out on the street.

19. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Politicians enacting policies they learned about on reddit....what could possibly go wrong....

20. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

For years, I've joked (I know, I'm heartless) that if you're going to be homeless, this is the place to do it!

21. eltoslightfoot macrumors regular

eltoslightfoot

Actually, due to deadweight loss, the reduction in taxes would result in greater advantage.