Hawaii Set to Become the 16th US State to Legalize Same-Sex Marriage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Nov 12, 2013.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

It was already mentioned in the Illinois thread, but it's deserving of its own.

Now, if all 53 states could jump on board (the 50 US States, plus State of Mind, State of Euphoria, and State of Insanity), the world would be a much happier place. :)

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...ate-gives-final-approval-to-same-sex-marriage
    BL.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Aloha!

Anti-gay marriage states are falling faster than Obama's approval ratings. New Mexico and Oregon are said to be the next.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I thought it was a race between Hawaii and Illinois to be next?

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Nooo! This means that people will be marrying inanimate objects! And everyone will turn gay! And we won't have anyone to have children anymore! It's all that keenyan muslin's fault!

/sarcasm

Congrats Hawaii! Glad to see your state joined real civilization and granted equal rights to all your citizens regardless of what the 5000 bigots who showed up at that hearing tried to say.

5. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

That'll be really great when passed. I know we had it so good without having the senate/house and assorted states to sort out. Just the North and South Islands plus little old Stewart Island tacked on the bottom to balance our small island nation.

KGB:cool:

6. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

guess I better start planning my hawaiian wedding. Beaches, sunshine, booze, gays, and a wedding. Sounds like a party to me :D

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Same here! For a long time I wanted a party on a boat to be my wedding and I can't think of a better place!

8. Happybunny macrumors 68000

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Interesting stat I saw on Twitter.

With Hawaii legalizing gay marriage, around 118 million Americans now live under marriage equality, or 37.5% of the population.

10. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Who's the lucky fella? :)

11. palmerc2 macrumors 65832

palmerc2

I'm confused about the tourism part of it. How will this benefit tourists?

12. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

Tourists coming there just to have an awesome wedding and honeymoon?

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I agree, it's not like anyone's ever wanted to have their wedding in Hawaii :rolleyes:

14. palmerc2 macrumors 65832

palmerc2

No need to get snarky, it was a legitimate question. What if they're coming from a state that gay marriage isn't legal? That's what find a bit confusing...

15. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Even if they come from a state where it's not legal, they will still be eligible for federal marriage benefits. If their state forces them to put "single" on their taxes even though they are married according to federal law, that's just a set up for the next supreme court case that will most likely legalize gay marriage nation wide.

16. palmerc2 macrumors 65832

palmerc2

Ah okay that makes sense. I don't really follow anything related to this topic so thanks for clearing it up.

17. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Also some states will still recognize the marriage even though it is illegal to get married in that state.

18. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

19. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

And it is done. Hawaii has now legalized same-sex marriage.

And a correction needs to be made. Hawaii is the 15th State to legalize same-sex marriage, whereas Illinois will be the 16th. While in Illinois, the state legislature has passed the bill, their governor hasn't signed into law yet (planning to on Nov. 20th).

Next on the 'battleground':
    • New Mexico. The only state that doesn't have a law on the books explicitly allowing or prohibiting same-sex marriage. Their State Supreme court is hearing arguments on it now.
    • Oregon. Organizers are in the process of collecting signatures to put a measure on the ballot in 2014 to overturn the state's constitutional ban on same-sex marriages.
    • Nevada. the law to allow it there has to pass twice in 2 consecutive state legislative sessions before it hits the main ballot the following year. It is on its second round now. So it should make the next ballot, which may be during the next POTUS election.

Arizona, Ohio, Colorado, and Michigan are potential states to add it, but I'm not sure what the stories are there. But if anything think about how much marriage tourism is big in Vegas, and how much they are missing out.

BL.

20. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Here in Ohio it's a constitutional amendment based ban (Section 15.11)

21. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Your state constitution now condradicts the Supreme Court's interpretation of the US constitution. Can you say "lawsuit"?:)

22. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

I believe there's already a case working its way through the Ohio courts.

23. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

There is. Hopefully will get to the Supreme Court next year, unless the Ohio Supreme Court decides to legalize gay marriage in your state, in which case it will end there and won't go to the US Supreme Court.