Hawking the Trump Brand is a Violation of Ethics for Government Employees

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Huntn, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

It was mention today that Brian Spicer (presidential spokesperson) mentioned how nice the Trump Hotel was yesterday. It was mentioned today on MSNBC that government servants/officials are not allowed to endorse products or brands. How long before this is violated? My Beautiful Hotel! ;)

Update: This post was initially made with an error, but not in purpose. :p Trump as President is exempt from this ethics law which applies to government employees, but not the President or Vice President. However his daughter, if she is employed by the government would be answerable to this ethics rule.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

Does this count? https://www.whitehouse.gov/administration/first-lady-melania-trump

Melania is also a successful entrepreneur. In April 2010, Melania Trump launched her own jewelry collection, "Melania™ Timepieces & Jewelry”, on QVC.

3. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I think this will happen dozens of times until he gets acclimated to being president. Old habits will die hard. He's been a marketer of the Trump brand since he was born. That's a hell of a well honed reflexive response to turn off.

It will stop as he settles into his new life.

4. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

We'll see. :)

5. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Can you source the statute that outlines how it's illegal?

6. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Mind you, I'm not saying it's appropriate but I understand in a sense.

Like when you work for a company for awhile, and then switch to a new job but your old company greeting slips through when you pick up the phone for the first little bit.

You do stop doing that but it's not instantaneous.

7. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'd like to see this too please.

9. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

I think @Huntn is becoming the King of the increasingly inaccurate thread titles.

10. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Your evidence?

11. edk99 macrumors 6502a

So I guess when Obama mentions his book that does not count?

12. Huntn, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017

Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

As a spouse, I don't know if this is covered. It certainly seems to be in poor taste.
    Update: This may have been removed. I saw a report about this in another story.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 20, 2017 ---
    Honestly I don't know. I imagine you can say I wrote a book and discuss what's in it.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

LOL - it was removed

14. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Where is your source that US politicians are barred by law from endorsing, or promote products, goods, or services?

It's been asked for three times. Because I can't find any such law.

15. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

https://www.oge.gov/web/oge.nsf/OGE Regulations/5D633072D0B2DB5085257E96006A90E7?opendocument

5 C.F.R. Part 2635: Standards of ethical conduct for employees of the executive branch

Subpart G - Misuse of Position

Subpart G contains four provisions designed to ensure that employee do not misuse their official positions. These include:

• A prohibition against employees using public office for their own private gain for the private gain of friends, relatives, or persons with whom they are affiliated in a non-Government capacity, or for the endorsement or any product, service, or enterprise;
    • A prohibition against engaging in financial transactions using nonpublic information, or allowing the improper use of nonpublic information to further private interests;
    • An affirmative duty to protect and conserve Government property and to use Government property only for authorized purposes; and
    • A prohibition against using official time other than in an honest effort to perform official duties and a prohibition against encouraging or requesting a subordinate to use official time to perform unauthorized activities.

16. Gutwrench, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017

Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Insofar as President and Vice President, kindly look at the definition of "employee".

Employee
    Employee means any officer or employee of an agency, including a special Government employee. It includes officers but not enlisted members of the uniformed services. It includes employees of a State or local government or other organization who are serving on detail to an agency, pursuant to5 U.S.C. 3371,et seq. For purposes other than subparts B and C of this part, it does not include the President or Vice President. Status as an employee is unaffected by pay or leave status or, in the case of a special Government employee, by the fact that the individual does not perform official duties on a given day.
    Source
    5 CFR § 2635.102

Scoping language
    The definitions listed below are used throughout this part. Additional definitions appear in the subparts or sections of subparts to which they apply. For purposes of this part:

17. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

You're right, good catch. But Trump still has to be careful of encouraging his employees to endorse anything.

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Yeah the POTUS is not an employee. In any case I seriously hope that Trump doesn't advertise his brand.

19. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Unless Trump is actively populating his website, a government employee will be responsible for updating the website, so those endorsements should not appear.

And there is no way the President of the United States is not held to the same ethics as the branch in which he operates.

20. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I wonder about his twitter account too. Surely his fingers are not doing most of the tweets, or at least now, will not be.

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

The person responsible for the website is not the person endorsing, there is no risk there.

Again, hopefully he won't do it. We shall see.

22. dogslobber macrumors 68030

dogslobber

She's also a successful illegal alien. Any mention of that felony?

23. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

24. samcraig macrumors P6

And yet it was removed from the website.

25. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I think it's moral grey area, but I would lean to the side of it being fine.

I don't like Trump, but I pick my battles.