Hawthorne PD arrest man, then shoot his dog.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TedM, Jul 2, 2013.

1. TedM, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013

TedM macrumors 6502

2. iMikeT macrumors 68020

So these are one of those rare instances where a cop went too far with their actions? :rolleyes:

The dog had a leash on him and the tough guy cop probably had pepper spray and a taser he could have used but he went for his gun? Nope, had to shoot first didn't he?

God dammit I'm pissed off after seeing this. First that girl with the water now this! :mad:

3. skunk, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013

skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That was really vile.

By the way, does anyone know why the street was being blocked by four patrol cars? Couldn't they find a parking space?

4. TedM thread starter macrumors 6502

They were arresting suspects in a house. They were robbery suspects.

5. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Title should say

Hawthorne PD arrest man, then shoot his dog after it climbs out of his car window and tries to bite them

6. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Agreed.

I did not like watching that just as much as the next person, but that dog jumped at the cop that was attempting to grab the leash.

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The police acted inappropriately.

First, the police had no right to arrest the man. He was on a public street, he did not cross tape (or bypass scene control), and he is allowed by law to record police officers on a public street. The arrest was unfounded and illegal.

Second, the officers failed to de-escalate the situation. They have two types of non-lethal weapons at their disposal, moreover, they could have simply released the owner for a moment to control his dog.

Third, officers need to be trained on how to handle dogs. If you're not the owner of the animal, you should not lunge toward the dog to grab the leash, or otherwise engage the animal. A frightened animal, no matter how well-trained may attempt to bite.

The officers created a situation, escalated it, and then killed the man's dog. It's a bad shoot precisely because the officers created the situation and failed to handle it appropriately.

Most police officers want to do their job, but there remains a fundamental failure to understand the law—people may not be arrested for photographing or filming officers during their official duty on a public street.

8. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The dog wasn't charging though. So it tried to bite the cop once when the cop approached it..... So what? Wasn't like it was trying to tackle the cop and maul him. Shooting the dog was overkill.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

These guys handled the entire situation very poorly. Poor dog:(. It looked like a really nice dog too that was merely freaked out.

10. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Ermahgerd!

Lets all ignore the fact that this man was arrested(possibly just detained) for filming the police in a public place...

I find it funny that this wouldn't have even made the news up until the dog was shot.

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

See my post.

Moreover, the National Press Photographers Assoc. and the ACLU have repeatedly supported individuals and members of the press who are harassed and/or arrested by police officers for filming police officers.

I saw this story originally on my Facebook page through the NPPA page, which led with the man's arrest.

12. iMikeT macrumors 68020

His name is Leon Rosby and was released as there is a follow up video of him explaining what happened.

13. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

My gut says that if I was in that cops shoes I would have shot the dog too. My gut also says that in that cops shoes I wouldn't have arrested that guy taunt or not.

*It took 4 shots and the dog didn't drop thats either one tough dog a one bad shooting cop*

14. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I just want to mention one more thing about the incident.

If you watch the video carefully, you can see the cop who shot the dog pull out his gun as soon as he sees the dog run up to where Leon Rosby is (the man who was arrested) rather than reacting to this dog the moment before it jumps. In other words, the cop was ready to shoot.

On top of that, there were onlookers and an apartment building in the direction the cop fired in. A human being could have gotten hurt had the cop missed the dog or his arm moved in the direction of people.

It's apparent to me that these guys aren't trained to be completely aware of their surroundings and use their heads. Instead, it's shoot first, ask questions later.

For those apologizing for the cop, please keep in mind that police K-9s are trained to be far more vicious than the dog that was shot. And if I were the cop, the last thing on my mind would have been to pull out my gun.

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Maybe my experience with dogs is different, but I wouldn't have drawn my gun for a dog. It was clear from the dog's body language that he was confused and was trying to get to his owner.

Considering the lack of situational awareness, I'd be worried about anything approaching these cops.

16. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I love the ending of that video. "please contact..."

Popcorn anyone?

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Probably the dog walking was the primary activity...

19. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Yeah. Before he was placed in the car he looked totally relaxed. It made me sad as I had a dog that looked like that a number of years ago. He used to charge people with a tennis ball and drop it at their feet. It would have made me sad either way, but I really like rottweilers. They're fun dogs, and they tend to be nice to strangers if they meet a lot of them while still puppies.

20. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Here are a few videos with K-9s being trained to go after the guy wearing the padded suit as the "bad guy".

----------

Agreed. It does seem fishy that cops somehow always "find reasons" to arrest or detain an individual doesn't it? The problem is the system in which they operate in and the attitude they walk away with and use in real life.

21. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Normally only a dire emergency should justify shooting near houses and other people. When civilians discharge a gun like that, they get charged for it.

Exactly. Police these days are trained to shoot when in doubt.

In my opinion, they should be trained to think first before shooting.

What was he arrested for, anyway? Shooting a video of police?

22. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Meh..The trajectory was down into the dirt

23. MegamanX macrumors regular

I can believe most are trained for non-attack-related duites but the many that are trained for attack duties are very well trained and will obey their masters with out questions and generally do not attack unless ordered 2.