Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
for the 15 in powerbook, what would be a better upgrade?

1. 1 SO-DIMM of 512 RAM - $90 (To upgrade later to 1024 from Crucial)
2. 80 GB 5400 RPM HD - $112 (Instead of the standard 80 GB 4200 RPM)

What would have the biggers effect on performance?

dudewheresmymac

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2004
the RAM will have a larger affect on performance but you will have a harder time upgrading the hard drive in the future..

so i recommend that you get the hard drive upgrade when you by it then when you get enough money later on you get more RAM plus the prices on RAM is consistantly falling so you might be able to get more later than you would be able to now

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I'd normally say Hard Drive but... since it's the same size at 4200 or 5400... I'd probably do the RAM. Unless you're going to do a lot of disk intensive stuff (i.e. importing video). But just remember, putting in a different hard drive later is really a pain if not impossible whereas putting in more RAM later is super easy.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
RAM!

Better yet, go to http://www.crucial.com and buy a 512MB stick for half the Apple price! Heck, buy a GB stick! Add it yourself, and put the money you would have spent towards the hard drive.

Edit: Cancel that! Crucial has upped their prices way too much. Sorry! Go for the RAM upgrade on Apple.

applefan

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2003
No. Cal.
If you haven't purchaced yet and you can only upgrade one or the other now, I'd upgarde the the HD.

The RAM is cheep and easy to upgrade later the HD isn't

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
Just so you know, the faster HD will reduce your battery life since it draws more power, whereas more RAM will give you longer battery life since more will be cached in memory.

Personally I'd go with the memory. If you really need a higher performance HD you can get a FW800 drive that is much larger & faster than the 5400 RPM model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.