HD videos of glossy vs. antiglare 2011?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aoaaron, Mar 29, 2011.

1. aoaaron macrumors 6502

has anyoen got any HD videos/pictures for 2011?

I saw one picture on a review of the two laptops and the antiglare looks really washed out.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Unfortunately, video/pics doesn't give too accurate of a feel for the differences in the screens. It's likely that that just made it look washed out. I've seen the AG displays in person, and they actually look very good.

3. 301finest macrumors regular

If you want the best comparison, you must view them both in person..

4. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

If you see anybody championing anti glare as if it has no faults be very suspicious. Some people have other more grandiose reasons for choosing to like what they like for example a persistent, deep rooted resentment for things that strike them as style over function and in the end a simple decision of basic logic is marred by the overbearing life outlook.

The fact is that although the Anti Glare costs more as an upgrade, it's also at the same time a downgrade. To achieve the anti glare effect and provide the anti glare service to customers, they are forced to put an extra layer in the screen which reduces the vibrancy of the picture at the same time that it is providing it's anti glare effect.

Anybody reasonable can see that the glossy looks way better than the depressingly washed out AG.

To make a sound decision weighing the pros and cons is one thing, but to say Anti Glare looks just as good or better, well they are either blind, or have a hidden agenda.

5. Whitelightning macrumors regular

If you see anybody championing glassy glossy as if it has no faults be very suspicious. Some people have other more grandiose reasons for choosing to like what they like for example a persistent, deep rooted resentment for things that strike them as function over style and in the end a simple decision of basic logic is marred by the overbearing life outlook.

The fact is that although the Glassy Glossy costs less as an upgrade, it's also at the same time a downgrade. To achieve the glassy glossy effect and provide the glassy glossy service to customers, they are forced to put an extra layer of glass in the screen which increases the glare and reflectiveness of the picture at the same time that it is providing it's glossy glassy style.

Anybody reasonable can see that the AG looks way better than the depressingly "cannot see whole screen glare/mirror" glassy glossy.

To make a sound decision weighing the pros and cons is one thing, but to say Glassy Glossy looks just as good or better, well they are either blind, or have a hidden agenda.

6. simsaladimbamba

I thought it would be the other way around, as the glossy glass is missing?

Someone with your standards and preferences and experiences and train of thought might do that. But what about those people applying other standards, preferences, experiences and trains of thoughts?

I had a Unibody MBP with glossy screen, and now have a Unibody MBP with AG screen.
    I prefer the AG screen and think it looks better, and my agenda is to have a better working condition and less eye strain.

But that is only MY own opinion. And it is subjective. Or was it objective again?

7. lankox macrumors regular

Pure Brillance!

8. xxplosive1984 macrumors regular

burn!

9. Manacit macrumors member

Manacit

If you see anybody championing the glossy screen as if it has no faults, be very suspicious. Sure, it might be a little more vibrant and slightly more bright, but that's absolutely useless when the only thing you can see on the screen is yourself and the backlit keys shining back at you. I used both in store, and I've used other people's Glossy screens extensively, and I happily walked out with the AG screen.

The fact is, my AG screen is more then bright enough for me to use in direct sunlight, and the colors are beautiful. I've had absolutely no complaints. I knew I wanted the AG when I compared the two screens in the apple store and could see the MacBook Pro advertisement behind me more easily then OSX when I looked at the glossy screen.

Mr. Pro Glossy up there has it wrong however, the glossy screens actually have one more piece of glass then the AG screen, which is why the display is glossy. This means that it is harder to scratch the AG screen because there's no extra piece of glass to protect it, that is one downside.

10. aoaaron thread starter macrumors 6502

11. Blipp, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011

Blipp macrumors 6502

I would say it is as accurate a representation as you're going to get from a photo/video though it makes the matte screen's colors look overly dull. It is accurate in that the glossy screen does have deeper tones but the difference isn't as strong as it is in that photo. For me the glare on the glossy screen is just too much and using the glossy display can be detrimental for design work as the image is never a good representation of print or other real world conditions. I've had clients view a design/video on a glossy screened MBP and then later email me all up in arms about how terrible it looks (or appears to look in comparison) on all other monitors. Think of the glossy screen as someone turning the saturation and contrast of a photo way up.

If you are getting the laptop to be used mainly indoors (preferably away from windows) for personal use, movies and maybe a little gaming then the glossy screen will "feel" like it looks better. If you're going to be mobile and do anything professional, especially if it's design oriented, then the matte screen is far and away the better screen. The colors are by far more accurate even though side by side they appear washed out. Additionally the matte screen provides better viewing angles.

Personally I always go with matte.

I quickly edited the photo to what I feel to be a more accurate representation of the differences in color between the glossy and matte screens.
    [​IMG]

12. lankox macrumors regular

13. currins macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm not a raging proponent on either side, but don't you think it's slightly telling that u had to doctor a photo to defend the ag?

14. harcosparky macrumors 68020

For gods sake man, go somewhere and put the two side by side.

Man up and make the decision for yourself.

When it comes to anything optional the following four statements are true.....

1) Those who own option A will tell you Option A is better than Option B.

2) Those who own option B will tell you Option B is better than Option A.

3) Only those who have owned and used both can speak to the benefits and weaknesses of either option and YES there are benefits and weaknesses to BOTH.

4) Threads like this do nothing more that stir up controversy.

15. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Haha +1

16. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

If you go with glossy, you will start to question your decision within days.

If you go with anti glare, you will wonder why some in the forums prefer to look at a mirror instead of what is on the screen.

Source: Personal experience

17. Neil1138 macrumors regular

I have both glossy and antiglare so I'll post a comparo tomorrow. I can't make a video but I can take plenty of sexy pics for you guys.

Just for now... The 2011 is on the right. In my opinion, antiglare is much better.

[​IMG]

18. harcosparky macrumors 68020

OK I will join in the fun and games ......

If you go with anti-glare, you will start to question your decision within days.

If you go with glossy, you will wonder why some in the forums prefer to look at a piece of frosted glass instead of what is on the screen.

Source: Personal experience

But honestly .......

Now for my experience:

Up until about 4 years ago I could not fathom owning a glossy screen.

About 4 years ago I bought a 24" iMac and it had a glossy screen.

Mind you I do a ton of photo editing and printing.

Concerned about the differences I went to my older anti-glare iMac and brought up one of my test images that I use for calibration of the display to the printer.

Let's be honest, what really counts is when the ink hits that paper.

I re-calibrated the G5 iMac to the printer.

I then brought the image up on the glossy screen, and proceeded to do the calibration procedure to the printer.

Looking at both I felt the glossy screen more closely rendered the image to what was desired on the print.

This is especially true when working with HDR images.

In use around here we have both, we use glossy where it works the best and we use anti-glare where they work the best.

It's all about the right tool for the job.

I am about to buy a new 17" MBP - but before I do I will take a look at both, side by side, run a few jobs on them and decide for myself which one is best suited for the tasks I intend it to be used for.

I will stand by my original statement above though .....

Compare them side by side for yourself, and think about your use.
    Make your decision for yourself and don't let others make it for you.

The only time I ever questioned a purchase decision I made is when I made a purchase based on the opinions of others via a Web Forum. I learned my lesson .... shop and compare for yourself.

19. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; HTC Glacier Build/FRG83) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that apple has removed the restocking fee? So you could make your best guess and then if you don't like it return it and try the other option. (I hope this will work for BTO)

My advice is try antiglare first. If you find it good enough for you then it will be good enough in all situations. As a user of glossy I personally find it much more unpredictable. It is harder than you might expect to predict situations where glare will be am issue with the glossy screen.

20. Scalion macrumors newbie

If the bezel was black instead of grey there will be no hesitation to take the matte... but damn the look of the black bezel on the glossy look better.

The black border help to focus on your screen

21. Tonepoet, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011

Tonepoet macrumors regular

None of us will be more capable of discerning your aesthetic preferences than you are yourself. Therefore I'd recommend that you go see them in person, it couldn't possibly be that difficult. Why do I say this? During my last trip to the Applestore, they had both kinds of screens on display. I was kinda in shock, since I thought they only kept the stock models on the showroom floor but apparently the screens must've been some sort of exception.

Yes the apple store is crowded enough so that all the toys are in use by at least one individual or another, however since you just want to see the qualities of the screens all you have to do is look over somebody's shoulder for a moment to get the general idea.

Don't feel guilty about not buying something during your visit. I'm sure half the reason Apple decided a retail outlet a good idea for them was so that customers could examine the machinery to the point where they could decide "I'll sleep on it and maybe look around for a good deal elsewhere." Apple gets a substantial sum of money from the purchase either way.

That having been said, I'd say the antiglare screen is slightly less impressive in terms of sheer and utter vibrance but seeing a large round yellow reflection of your light bulbs like I did with my last iMac is a far larger nuisance in my opinion. I'd rather have one good consistent experience than a sort of haphazard mixture of stunning and annoying obscuration myself.

22. Blipp macrumors 6502

More like it's the nature of photography that a side by side photo of a glossy and anti glare screens will not provide an accurate comparison for real world performance.

23. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

This picture setting was probably chosen to show in one picture how they both work but not to compare them. The glossy gets only a part the reflection form the window behind while the AG is put on a place where it is almost fully covered with reflections. If you switch both you wouldn't see a thing on the glossy. It shows that the AG is still perfectly usable and also you can see on the glossy that it works if you can eliminate reflections and what happens at the bottom if you cannot.

Neil's picture actually compares them in the same situation. They both deal with keyboard reflection but otherwise nothing noteworthy. You can hardly see the keyboard reflection in the AG.

Since in the topic you said something about HD videos. The biggest problem with videos and games too is that they often have a lot of dark content. If you are not some vampire/gamer/nerd who prefers dark rooms with lots of closed curtains you are always bothered by reflections. AG starts getting washed if it has to deal with such strong reflections that you couldn't see a thing on glossy but otherwise it looks really good and works with dark content too.
    High brightness does nothing for you if you are in some dimly lit underground complex shooting aliens.

I always say the best thing about AG is that you can go and work wherever you want. It is bright enough to sit in garden when sun is shining and actually do some work. A friend with a 13" wanted to show me some pictures and I could hardly see a thing and at best a part of the picture. It was even cloudy that day.

Check them out yourself. It depends not only on preferences but also how you want to use it. If you want to use it on the go frequently and you do not hide in a dark classroom, library all the time but also in a cafe with garden you should know what to choose. If it is mostly a Desktop replacement you can go for glossy. If you rarely work in brightly lit conditions and only watch movies when its dark or the curtains are closed glossy works fine for the few times you are in the sun.

24. electronique macrumors 6502

Posting/viewing photos of glossy/matte screens, to compare differences is null and void. As the person viewing them is viewing them on a totally different monitor anyways.

You have to see them in person.

25. Chazn macrumors regular

In terms of the looks of the whole machine the black glossy rim looks more smexy.