HDD installation issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mknabster, May 7, 2010.

1. mknabster macrumors regular

Hey guys, I just bought a bigger hard drive for my MBP, and when following the youtube video, some pins snapped off of the SATA connector, which I have here in the pics.

[​IMG]

This is what the 4 pins snapped off of:
    [​IMG]

What are my options with fixing this?

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

What youtube video?

You don't have to disconnect any cables from the logic board to replace the HD. It's just the SATA connector directly attached to the old HD that you have to disconnect.

3. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

The SATA cable can cheaply and easily be replaced, but it looks like you damaged the connector on the logic board, which is a completely different story.

4. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yeah, if he ripped the ribbon cable that'd be a cheap and easy fix. But he broke the connector that is directly on the logic board. Not sure how easily that can be fixed.

5. Reapur macrumors regular

Pls take a more wide angle photo of the drive bay along with the SATA cable. For future reference, only use DIY guides from iFixit.com. Never trust videos from youtube.

When disconnecting the hard drive from the SATA cable you should not have to remove the cable from the computer. Just unplug the drive from the cable itself. There is no reason to remove the cable from the logic board.

iFixit can also sell you replacement parts for the MBP.

Also I would love to see this youtube video you watched telling you to disconnect the ribbon cable.