HDD Swap - Blackbook to Unibody MBP - do I need drivers?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ManhattanPrjct, Sep 1, 2010.

1. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

I just got a new unibody MBP (which is a sorely needed update from my Blackbook).

I'd like to put the HDD from my Blackbook (500GB) into the Unibody and then sell the Blackbook with the 320GB drive that came with the MBP.

I was all set to do so, but wondered if I would have all the correct graphics drivers for everything to work properly. I upgraded both systems to 10.6.4, so I would think things would work, but I googled around and found older threads to the contrary (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=755560).

I don't really want to have to run out and grab an enclosure or have to do a clean install - I just want to pick up where I left off in the MBP. Would a straight-up swap work? Wouldn't it ask for a software update after I do it?

2. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

I would not recommend doing this. You are in store for a lot of problems and a potentially very unstable system. The best bet would be to just transfer your files or settings over using Time Machine. If you want a very pristine start, just transfer your files over and then reinstall your applications and reset your settings.

Getting a brand new system is not the time to carry over all the bugs and issues from your old system. Take the time and do it right the first time. It will save you more time in the long run.

3. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

A straight swap might not even boot (I've done this first hand). As the first response said, it is not recommended.

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

With a firewire cable, you could use Migration Assistant to move your stuff over to the unibody.