HDMI output on rMBP seems kind of buggy, is it just me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lionheartednyhc, Jul 15, 2012.

1. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

I was trying to watch the last episodes of Breaking Bad in preparation for tonight and tried to use the HDMI out for the first time. I don't know if Im doing something wrong, but this is what happened:

Computer was on. Plugged into tv. Screen flickered like it noticed the display but nothing came on TV (said no input device detected). Hit "detect displays" to no avail.

Restarted computer. TV showed display but macbook display was black. Started playing the show but audio would only come out of macbook (I checked audio output setting on computer and switched them to SAMSUNG).

Unplugged and then plugged back in HDM cable. Worked fine.

Any thoughts?

2. dsciel macrumors regular

Do you have another Cable? you can try that because some HDMI does not carry signals correctly and if it does not work properly. Suggest you to get it exchanged.

3. lionheartednyhc thread starter macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Meant to say that. Used two separate cables.

4. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Could just be a rare occurrence. I've always had trouble using the mini display port to hdmi adaptor on my previous MBP. Glad they got the HDMI port finally. Does it work properly now after unplugging and replugging?

btw, can't wait for BREAKING BAD tonight!

5. lionheartednyhc thread starter macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Yeah, Ill try again later today. Just made me anxious because its brand new.

AND HELLLLLL YEAH.

6. TheMTtakeover macrumors 6502

TheMTtakeover

Computer to HDMI is never a good option IMO. I've had issues and seen people with issues. I always go for VGA.

7. jcpb macrumors 6502a

I've never had an issue with my older desktop being connected via HDMI to my TV, through a passive DL-DVI to HDMI dongle. It also used a PCIe sound card, so the HDMI not doing sound simultaneously was a non-issue.

8. freeskier989 macrumors member

I've used my HDMI out several times on my rMBP and no problems with the video. Either its the cable or the encoding on your vids...but not the port.

9. vanc macrumors 6502

My rMBP has the sound issue too. Video was properly displayed on my Sony TV (KDL55EX73). But sound was only from rMBP. In the System Preferences window, the Sony TV was displayed in the sound control, but shown as "No Volume control".

With the same cable, my HP DV7 entertainment laptop worked just fine. So I could safely say the cable is good. With the same cable, my PS3 could play 3D video on the TV. So the cable supports high speed HDMI 1.4.

I suspect it's a software bug on the rMBP side. Will see if ML final could fix it.

10. town3r macrumors newbie

town3r

I haven't had any issues.
    Was able to watch a few movies using the HDMI cable just fine.