HDTV as a secondary monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PCtoMAC?, Aug 13, 2009.

1. PCtoMAC? macrumors member

Hey Guys

I am still waiting on delivery of my 13'' MBP, comming from China :(, and I am thinking about secondary monitors and I do have a 17'' LCD monitor that I could use but i also have a 42'' Plasma TV that would be awsome, I think. Has/does anyone use there HDTV's as their secondary monitor? How well does it work?

2. kasakka macrumors 68000

HDTVs are great for things like videos and games, but crap for working on the desktop. Their pixel size is way too large so text looks a bit jagged edge (and thus harder to read) and you'd also have to sit quite a bit further away.

3. PCtoMAC? thread starter macrumors member

I was afraid of that, oh well I'll probably just use it sometimes when I want to play counter strike on a big screen :D

4. rubirock macrumors regular

I have a 13" MBP and use my 40" samsung as a secondary monitor.
    full hd with a mini display port to hdmi adapter. the only problem is that the mdp doesnt support audio, so i'm using the optical audio out to connect to my receiver. picked up 15' hdmi and optical cords for less than $15 shipped so i can sit on the couch and still have everything hooked up. if you have an airport express, you may be able to get the audio from it instead, but i dont know.

works great and it's very handy when you need more space than the 13" display can fit.

5. m85476585 macrumors 65816

If it is 1080p you only have to sit 5-6 feet away for that screen to not see pixels. If it is 720p, you will have to sit about 8 feet away, and you will have much less screen space (roughly the same as the built-in screen on the 13" or a little less) because of the lower resolution.

Hook it up digitally if you can, using either DVI or HDMI with a DVI-HDMI adapter. VGA may not give you the best quality.

6. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

I use Dell Mini 10v (running 10.5.8) hooked up to my 37 inch LCD and surf from bed with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard! It's great!

Andrew

7. PCtoMAC? thread starter macrumors member

I am for sure going to get the mini display to HDMI adaptor and as it is a 1080p display I hope it won't be to big of an issue but I guess I will just have to wait and try it out once it gets here.

8. Boxer757 macrumors member

I sometimes hook my MBP up to a 50'" plasma 720p... I think the picture looks quite good from my normal viewing distance. Only issue is that sometimes the font is too small to read...