HDTV as "dual monitor"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigpoppamac31, Sep 3, 2012.

1. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

I have a 2011 MBP 15" and I'm curious to know if I can use my HDTV in a dual monitor set up. I know I can mirror my MBP on my HDTV but can I dual monitor??

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can use any display (including a TV) as either a mirror of your original screen, or as an extended display.

3. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I don't see why not... there should be mini-displayport adapters and/or cables to go from it to HDMI, VGA, HDMI, DVI... whatever the HDTV can support.

You'd want to go into system preferences->displays. Then click the 'arrangement' button. You should see both monitors there, and do not have the 'mirror displays' checkbox checked.

4. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

So for whatever display I want as my "main" display I just drag the menu bar over from one to the other in the system prefs window? Can I go from thunderbolt to HDMI? I just ask cause I've seen many people complain of the dual monitor "issues" in Lion and Mountain Lion.

5. SlyMac macrumors 6502

yes and yes. I use a minidisplay port to HDMI for connecting to my tv ($7 at monoprice and i saw one for $10 at micro center a couple weeks ago). I run lion and have yet to encounter a problem with extending my desktop. I cannot speak for mountain lion though.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yes they are marketed as mini display port to HDMI with audio support but thats the same hole as thunderbolt

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

+1 on all counts.

Keep in mind the nature of any discussion forum site. You'll see a lot of complaints. People rarely post just to say that everything is working fine.