He called me "Gay"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by fireshot91, Oct 30, 2009.

1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

So, I was in Programming today, done with all my projects, so I was just browsing the internet (Most likely here :p), and this guy that I helped last class came to me and was like "Yo Can you e-mail me this project so I can turn it in?". I was like "No. You can do it yourself". Him: "Well, Can you come help me with it". (Last class, all he made me do was read out the instructions from the paper to him, and if he didn't know what it meant, he made me do it), and I refused again. Then, he said something that very much irked me. "Yo come on dawg, stop being so gay". Obviously, I didn't say anything to that, but I mean, I felt like punching him in his face. I have no idea why though. I'm not a homosexual, I have nothing against them, but what if somebody in that class was? I was like "No, you can do it yourself. It's very easy stuff" (Our teacher literally spells out EVERYTHING on a piece of paper. Like where to click and everything). And then, he called me gay AGAIN.

Just felt like sharing, getting other people's thoughts on this.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Some people are just complete jerk wads. I wouldn't have made a scene either. And I would also never help him again.

3. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I see he also called you a 'dawg' (dog), does that irk you as well?

4. felt. macrumors 6502a

what gayer than being called gay? writing about it on an internet forum for mac enthusiasts! :p

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

6. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Not at all actually.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Id ask him to learn English before requesting help again, his dialect alone would be enough to piss me off. I must admit that I use the word "gay" at times, but its not negatively directed at homosexuals, more habit from high school than anything else.

8. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

How old are you?

It's no big deal really, people do talk like that, don't stress it, life is already too complicated..if you don't like it, just tell him it's not cool (even though he would think that you are retarded/nerd/newbie).

Chill :p

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You developed a gay habit in high school?

edit: this desperately needs one of these: ;)

10. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

In case that wasn't a rhetorical question: I'm 15.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

:p

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It would do you well to break that habit.

Never help him again.

13. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

The only way to stop idiots from using "gay" as a pejorative is not to care when they do it. So what if you were?

The first response that popped into my head was, "You must have misheard. I said no I won't do your homework for you, not how about dinner and a movie. Understandable mistake. They sound a lot alike."

Of course, saying the first thing that pops into one's head occasionally results in the second thing being somebody's fist. Snark at your own peril.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Or you could just yell the first part out with the teacher being in earshot.

15. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

I remember an amusing method for dealing with a similar scenario, from waaay back in my own high school years.

A friend of mine was arguing / talking with another guy. The conversation reached a point where the other guy was "losing" the verbal battle, so he hauled of and called my friend a "fairy".

Without missing a beat, my friend says, "oh, I'm a fairy? Then *poof* you're a pile of crap!"

Conversation was over. The pile-of-crap skulked away. Classic.

16. Surely Guest

Surely

Yeah, he sounds like a douche.

Oh, and your story is gay.:p

17. AngryApple macrumors 6502

Kind of like when people use the word rape to describe things that are clearly not rape. *bumps into someone* "RAPE!" Hate it.

18. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Why not?

19. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Because it's just slang. I mean, the word 'gay' could've very well offended some people in that room, the word 'dawg'/'dog'....very less likely.

20. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

When I was in high school, I, ashamed to say, developed a somewhat "habit" of using the "f-word" normally used to attack gay people. I didn't use to describe or towards gay people--never.

But when fighting with peers it would come out.

As I grew up I realized that it was absurdly inappropriate...but the moral of the story is that I think some people use words or phrases that they pick up from their peers and do not think of their impact or immaturity until years later--or unfortunately, never.

I don't think it is a big deal--I hear young kids use gay in such a manner all the time--there are much worse things that other kids are doing.

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This is terrible :(.

22. No1451 macrumors 6502

I think you're taking it a little too seriously, if it offended someone big deal, words cAn be ignored.

23. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I don't think he meant "gay" as "homosexual". Apparently nowadays it's common to use the word "gay" as "stupid" or whatever.

24. Surely Guest

Surely

So are you guys cool with racial slurs too?

25. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Are you taking offense to the word being used or the attitude behind it?

If it's the word just ignore it I say.
    If it's the attitude maybe just shun they guy? (as indeed you already did)