Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TracyDJMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
hello! I have a MacBook Pro running os 10.10. My Laptop screen has failed long ago and my video adapter cuts out when the Mac switches to anything higher than 1024x768. So, I have access to single user mode console via external monitor and that’s it near as I can tell. I’d like to set this machine up with teamviewer to use on the network for various tasks. Any idea how to gain access to this machine? Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• D662BEB5-9816-46D6-9D24-3945779AC525.jpeg
    D662BEB5-9816-46D6-9D24-3945779AC525.jpeg
    643.8 KB · Views: 334

TracyDJMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
I think I got it sorted. Pull HD. Boot in another machine. Set up teamviewer. Reinstall HD.

It seemed way more complicated at first.. Cheers!

TracyDJMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
That didn’t work. Not sure what this machine is doing. Going to try unplugging the built in display. Maybe it’s shorting something out.
[doublepost=1542675372][/doublepost]I should rename this thread “MacBook Pro with faulty video output still useable?”

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
I think I got it sorted. Pull HD. Boot in another machine. Set up teamviewer. Reinstall HD.

It seemed way more complicated at first.. Cheers!

Try this again, but instead of using Teamviewer, set the Sharing Preferences to allow both file sharing and screen sharing. Then when the HD is reinstalled in the crippled machine try to access the machine across the network using Screen Sharing. This is a built-in function in the OS. This should work, though you will be at the mercy of what the crippled machine's video system thinks are the available resolutions. Using Screen Sharing, you can then reconfigure Teamviewer if you want access from the internet. Screen Sharing only works across the local network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.