'Headline was flawed': New York Times changed headline about Trump speech after backlash

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Aug 6, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/news/unbelievable-york-times-slammed-front-041050160.html
    democrats, purveyors of fake news.

2. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

Crazy stuff.

You won’t find too many (or any?) posts on this forum of me praising the President, but the NYT headline seemed appropriate for the situation.

It seems strange that a political party is dictating what the press should and shouldn’t be reporting.

I guess it is even more strange that the press listens.

3. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

A “political party” was not dictating anything. The article found three elected Democrats who complained. I saw far more complaints about the headline from media members (and even at least one or two Republicans).

4. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Yeah, the headline was bad but this was a bit of an overreaction by all of the people who spoke out against it.

5. Solver macrumors 6502a

6. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

It's most definitely not the first time journalists have sought editorial approval from DNC folks for their articles and stories.

[​IMG]

7. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Why are Democrats and MSM attacking freedom of the press?!?

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Democrats/Liberals have every right to voice their disdain. And the NY Times has the right to make a decision to do something about it or not. I really don't see the issue here.

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

So does Trump then. Next time I see a post of yours (or anyone else) claiming that Trump is against freedom of the press I'll point out to this one. Fair enough?

10. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Complaining when the New York Times publishes a badly misleading headline is, of course, not an attack on freedom of the press.

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Trump urged unity vs. racism in his speech.

12. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

A headline that ignores the simple fact that Trump has been on the wrong side of this fight against racism lacks necessary context.

13. chown33 Moderator

Staff Member

So if they correct it later, does that turn them back into real news media?

Or is it "Once a frog, always a frog".

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

It's a headline. It ignores basically everything by definition. I realize that most people read only headlines.

15. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

If they went with a smaller font, they had room for something like: ”Two weeks after Making Racist Attacks, Trump Urges Unity Against Racism.” Or how about a variation on a headline I saw on a Washington Post article today: “Trump’s TelePrompTer Appears Unfamiliar with Trump’s Twitter Account”?

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I don't make those type of posts.

And even if I did, I have a right to complain about the actions of a sitting president. Trump is yelling "Fake News" like a little kid, at every piece of news that doesn't pamper to his ego. That's not becoming of someone that suppose to represent America.

17. Timemaster macrumors regular

This first headline was horrible. It just make things worse than better.

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

He's right, so I prefer someone that says the truth compared to someone that keeps the status quo.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 6, 2019 ---
    Ok this was funny :)

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

He ONLY states "Fake News" when the media speaks out against him or his ideology. Which makes him bias. The best lie Trump has ever told is he's not apart of the status quo.

20. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Man it’s amazing the things people get outraged by these days. It was stupid for Liberals to be outraged over the first headline and stupid for Conservatives to be outraged that it was changed. Social media has given us the instant outrage culture and I hate it.

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

So you’re outraged of the outrage of those outraged of the outrage by the outraged ??? ;):p:cool:

22. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

I’m no Trump fan, I watched his speech yesterday, and the headline was accurate.

23. vertical smile, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019

vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

While this may be true, the article linked did not mention it as far as I see. It did call out one political party, but I don't see it mention the other at all.

That said, having thought about it for a while, I guess I do not find it surprising that politicians from any party, or other members of the news media complaining about a headline and trying to dictate what it should be. I do still find it surprising that the NYT changed it based off of politically charged complaints.

24. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Which still doesn’t change the fact that the headline was factually correct. Trump for once did the right thing in his speech, he did urge unity over racism. It’s not the media’s job to voice your biases against him

25. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Which one?