Headphone Amps / Dacs /Headphones

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I have a S.M.S.L M3 Headphone Dac ,i am interested in the
Schiit Modi 3 DAC would that be a step up from my S.M.S.L ?I know i would have to get a headphone amp to go with it i was thinking the
are they as good as what the reviews say?They certainly look well made.This is another guys videos i enjoy he has so much gear there.

Last edited:

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I thought someone would be interested in this subject.After watching a lot of videos on utube i have deiced to go with this although like all the reviewers say its all plastic,but they can,t believe that is sounds so amazing especially at the very low price.
The
JDS Atom i would have gone for the other one in his test but it is not available in the uk.I think the Atom is the best one though with all the good reviews.I have a Arcam ir dac hope fully that will go well with the Atom.:) I have AKG K550.:)What cans and dac s do you have?

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
This is a long and complicated subject..
Any audiophile can attest it.
Its not only the cans, amp and dac but also the synergy between those parts.
Right now I use mainly two hps: AKG K812 PRO and SENNHEISER HD800S (I have more cans but these two I like most).
I use a Oppo DAC and DarkVoice Tube Amp.

Queen6

macrumors 604
Sorry no, as I frequently travel so I'm mostly about being portable, Digital Audio Players (DAP); Sony NW-ZX300, Fiio M11 Pro and possibly the new FiiO M15, not that the M11 isn't already overkill. Also have an EarStudio ES100 Mk 1, although ES100 Mk2 and the new FiiO BTR5 is now on the market for those looking for a quality BT dongle or V-small wired solution.

IEM's; Westone W40, AKG N40, Campfire Andromeda and just today DUNU DK 3001 Pro. I have a set of BOSE QC35 II for the flights, no others to speak of. I could be tempted by Sennheiser Momentum 3, but a little too bulky and truth be known only use is watching films on the flight.

Overall I far prefer dedicated players as apart from the improvement in SQ, there's no interruptions as the DAP only has one purpose for my needs. Fine with my own library, although M11 can stream and I recently picked a HiRes smart speaker as the collaboration of Huawei & Devialet simply intrigued. The Devialet involvement certainly doesn't disappoint. Huawei's Sound X is a tuned speaker, very lively and impressive for it's diminutive size. Play Massive Attack's Mezzanine on it and heads will turn...

Wireless earbuds Sennheiser Momentum TW & Sony WF-1000XM3 (with ANC).

Q-6

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
This is a long and complicated subject..
Any audiophile can attest it.
Its not only the cans, amp and dac but also the synergy between those parts.
Right now I use mainly two hps: AKG K812 PRO and SENNHEISER HD800S (I have more cans but these two I like most).
I use a Oppo DAC and DarkVoice Tube Amp.
Wow there exspencive AKG K812 £342.51 SENNHEISER HD800S £750 for pre owned on ebay thats a lot of money for cans i think i got mine on ebay for £75 boxed as new.I think after a certain price point there is less of a differance in the sound of Hifi and the like. I can,t see your amp on the uk Amazon site ,but they have this one on there US sure
DarkVoice 336SE Headphone Tube Amplifier $289.99 that seems a reasonable price for a amp.Then again i rarely use cans i prefer speakers. :) Heres a review of a older one never heard of it before.
Ir seems like a good one. :)

Last edited:

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I see that the Atom amp is sold on Amazon Uk but no reviews? plus it is £149.99 and yet, I got it direct from the same company for only £110 free postage.

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I have several Schiit products and enjoy them well.

In one room I have a stack of Schiit.

Modi Multibit DAC
Loki tone control
Magni 3 amp

I usually pair the BLON B20 planar magnetic headphones with them when listening. Sometimes I'll use the Beyerdynamic DT880's or the Sennheiser HD650's.

In another room, and connected to my main computer, I have the Schiit Jotunheim with the Modi Multibit expansion card built-in.

I'm well pleased with the equipment I've chosen and they're price points as well.

Later this year I'm thinking about getting into tube amps to add a different feel to the music and see what happens. I'm looking at the Dark Voice as a front runner for me to start with.

I watch a lot of Zeos' reviews and I respect what he does and enjoy his opinions on products.

Reactions: sman789

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
I can warmly recommend Dark Voice as entry in the world of OTL Tube Amps.
It's cheap, good quality and can be a start also for tube rolling.
If you have any questions related to it just ask.