Headphone Jack Not Working: deal with Genius Bar or Best Buy?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by lemonademaker, Jul 28, 2009.

1. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    goodmorning,

32gb Ipod Touch, Headphone jack is totally flaking out. I tried different headphones and speakers and the problem is in the jack.

I got an extended "service plan" from Best Buy. (xmas gift 08) so it's under a year old. should I take it to an apple store or deal with the best buy extended plan? Do the Apple Stores make it hard to exchange the Touch if it is a headphone jack problem?

Thanks

2. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

First, I think you should always go to Apple, but since you have that Best Buy warranty, that changes a bit. Go to Apple until your 1 year is up, then go to Best Buy. Before you go to either, since this is a headphone jack problem, shine some light into it and see if there is any red. If there is, it thinks it has been exposed to liquids, even though you might not think so. At that point, there is little, if any chance of Apple replacing it, but Best Buy might. If you don't see that red, go to Apple. If you do, hope for the best at Best Buy. Good luck.

3. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

Yes, check for the pinkish red spot in the headphone jack, if it isn't there, then it might just be a loose contact. go to the apple store and tell them to fix it up.

4. lemonademaker thread starter macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

no pink/red stuff..... i'll head off to the apple store first....

thanks

5. myusername macrumors member

myusername

Apple replace / No more Bext Buy Coverage

If Apple gives you a replacement iPhone you will loose your Best Buy coverage, since your serial number changes you won't have that iphone listed under the Best Buy plan, I'd think of what gives you the best coverage.

6. lemonademaker thread starter macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

VERY VERY GOOD POINT!! THANKS A LOT!

looks like I have to do the Best Buy thing...

THANK!