Headphone Jack on Bottom, Lightning Port in Car

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by supervelous, Sep 13, 2012.

1. supervelous macrumors 6502

Anyone else not like this? How many of you, like me, put your iphone in your car's cupholder, hooked up either the aux jack in your car, or headphones with a mic in case you get a call?

Now, will I have to put it upside down?

Also, the Lightning charging port. Doesn't seem as car-friendly, the wide 30 pin connector I could rest the phone on in the cup holder, plugged in but bending the cable slightly, and the widness of the cable seemed to help with the stability and keeping the phone upright. Plus with tons of 30 pin cables laying around, could afford to be a little rough with it

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

So, according to you....

headphone jack on the bottom = have to put the phone in the cupholder upside down = disaster

but...

30-pin connector on the bottom = can keep phone rightside up = perfectly fine

I fail to see the difference. Or why an auxillary audio court/headphone cords is somehow less fragile than an old 30-pin connector cable.

3. supervelous thread starter macrumors 6502

never said having to put it upside down was a "disaster" as you so dramatically labelled it. But it's an annoyance.

And it's easy to see why a wide 30-pin connector that stretched almost half the length of the bottom of the phone supports the phone's weight better than a small cord that sits on the side of the bottom of the device, potentially hooked up to a more expensive, sensitive cable for people who don't use cheap Apple earbuds.

None of these are disastrous, I am buying the phone, but it's not as optimal for the car as the old setup if you use it for an aux jack or charging.

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

If you're going to spend a lot of money on a cable that's just going to spend all day in your car, you might as well buy yourself a bluetooth kit.

Problem solved.

5. supervelous thread starter macrumors 6502

I was talking about when I used my headphones in the car as well. Those are not just for the car, they are for everyday use with the phone.

6. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I with you in not liking the headphone jack on the bottom.

7. mrtune macrumors 6502a

So you prefer to have 2 wires sticking out (one on each end) versus two wires sticking out the same end?

I'm actually happy they finally did this. I've replaced numerous 30-pin dock connectors because they were all bent up in the cupholder of my car cause them to pull apart and show bare wire.

I always hated two wires sticking out two different sides.

8. supervelous thread starter macrumors 6502

I can understand the 2 wires out of 2 different sides complaint, but how will the new lightning charging cable help your cause?

You said you had numerous 30 pin dock connectors replaced because of the cupholder in your car, won't that also happen with the new connector?

My point is I have a ton of 30 pin connectors, and I think many of us have more than 1 so can afford to be more rough with it. Also the wideness of the 30-pin made it more ideal to support the weight of the device in a situation like the cupholder one.

I guess I'll put my phone upside down, and like you said at least will have both cables going into the same side.

9. mrtune macrumors 6502a

It won't happen because all the cables are coming from the same side. So the phone goes head first into the cupholder. No wires getting pinched underneath it anymore.

10. Bigcclass09 macrumors member

i like the change also, but then again i use my ipod integration in my car the AUX is really for passengers that have a song they wanna listen to, your issue seems minor, i would like to see if this new connector is strong when bent for hrs-days at a time, but if you dont like sitting your phone upside down get the car mount maybe?, i lay my 4 upside down or on its side my cup holder is spacious i guess