Headphone jack on the bottom makes sense

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Steve686, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

One reason I like the headphone jack on the bottom is while I am talking outside here in hot and humid as hell Florida, I sweat a little bit. And a couple of times I swore some drops fell onto the headphone jack hole and I was gonna be warranty-screwed. Same thing when some rain hits suddenly.

And for me, ya, I pocket my phone while listening with headphones so now it will go into my pocket head first since the iPod app doesn't rotate.

2. matttye macrumors 601

The headphone jack will still be pointing upright.. so what difference will it make? :confused:

I agree that it makes sense, but not for the same reasons as you - it makes sense because now when you pull the phone out of your pocket it will be the right way in your hand to look at it, rather than upside down.

3. fender57 macrumors 6502

I run and I use the armband holder for my iPhone. It will be nice to be able to stick it in "upside down" with the jack on the bottom so I can easily read it while I'm running (I use the Nike+ App and like to keep track of my time or switch songs).

4. dgstan macrumors 6502a

I like the fact that all the holes are on the same end. That way, when you stick it in your pocket, the holes all face up and there's less chance of lint getting in there and mucking things up.

5. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

What? The headphone jack won't be pointing upright. Its by the dock:confused:

6. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

From an aesthetics point of view, it makes more sense.

You're holding your phone, and the cable drops down under the phone, keeping it out of the way

7. matttye macrumors 601

It will be pointing upright if people put the phone in their pocket upside down (i.e. with the power button face down at the bottom), which is logical as otherwise it will be awkward and the cable could get tangled up with the phone.

8. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

yea but what the OP is saying, when he is actually holding the phone up to his face, he sweats sometimes and it can drip down into the hole. Same concept with rain.

Its more likely for that to happen, then for it to rain into your pocket

9. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

This is bad news for cyclists using an iphone mount. We can't use apps upside down for some strange reason, so now all of the mounts we have won't allow the headphone to come out of the bottom.

10. matttye macrumors 601

True. Think I misunderstood what he was saying :p

11. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

The headphone jack being on the bottom is a huge positive for me, I put my iPhone in my pocket screen facing me and home button on top, so whenever i listen to music with my iPhone in my pocket its a lot more convenient.

12. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

That's what pissed me off the most about it. I use a Scosche mount now and am hoping I can scoot one of the bottom supports out of the way enough to still use it, but I dunno. It was only $20 so it won't be the end of the world if I have to replace it, but it's irritating nonetheless.

13. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Yep, if they would just allow upside down apps

14. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

You listen to music while cycling? Illegal here, although I wouldn't even if it weren't. Not criticizing, just curious.

I don't like the port on the bottom. As I use bluetooth makes no difference to me in my uses though.

15. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

It's not illegal to listen to music here while cycling. And if you're on a trail, I don't see the harm. If I'm in traffic, I keep the music low. Holding the phone is going to be awkward with the headphone sticking out of the bottom anyway.

16. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Very good point about the rain. Hadn't thought of that. Also. It hasn't happened a lot to me (and now it will never happen) but the earphone wire won't dangle down in front of the screen anymore.

17. Steve686 thread starter macrumors 68030

Steve686

Yes. And tonight a freaking rogue sprinkler doused my top glass while i was texting and walking(which isnt illegal yet :eek:) and I was scared to even check the jack for pink. I am selling this phone on eBay so for,the love of god I have to dodge tragedy daily.

18. skidbubble macrumors 6502

It makes sense?

Yeah, it's real awesome when you are on the treadmill at the gym and you have to place your iPhone upside down.

Whoever thought it would be a good idea to relocate the headphone jack to the bottom should be fired on the spot.

19. elchemor macrumors member

That's why Apple wouldn't build a desktop dock for the iPhone 5 !
    there is no bloody way to use the headphones and put ur iPhone on the stand ! not cool at all !

20. Mr.C macrumors 601

Why would that be an issue. First of all how many people actually connect their headphones to the the phone whilst its in the dock. Secondly any dock could have a line out where you could connect the headphones or speakers so it shouldn't be an issue.

21. elchemor macrumors member

usually my iPhone 4 dock is connected to speakers to listen to iTunes music while at home, and my earphones are connected to it from the top while am working on the computer on the desk, so i can have a conversation when i receive a call, and still able to do whatever am doing with my hands on the computer.

now that would not be possible with the design of the iPhone 5 headphone jack location.

22. Joey51 macrumors newbie

Lol-omg

YOU MUST BE THAT FANBOY ON THE G3 commercial

Having it on the bottom does not matter one way or another
    Just a item that the FANBOYS will try to justify in there apple minds

23. GoSh4rks macrumors 6502

Line out is not the same as headphone out.

24. BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502

So am I carrying my phone in my pocket with the sleep button facing up wrong??

25. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

As I said on the gym thread, it's not an issue and placing the jack on the bottom is much better when it's mounted on my dash.