Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Hi,

Ever since I got the iPhone 6, the left earpod of my headphones has gradually decreased in overall volume, until the point where I can only hear sound coming out of it when i'm surrounded by silence. The right bud is fine. Has anyone else had this problem? Also when this happens, the headphone always feels different sitting in my ear.

This is really frustrating; I've gotten the iPhone 5, 5s, and now 6 (the phones that shipped with the new earpods) and this has happened with the 5s headphones, but not to this extent. I'm pretty meticulous with how I treat my electronics so I can't for the life of me figure out why my headphones keep breaking. The only thing I can think of is that I have hair over my ear, and I work out 6 days a week and I sweat a lot and the sweat makes my headphones wet, but I don't only sweat on my left side, I sweat on both sides and the right ear pod has never given me any issue despite getting wet from sweat.

I'd appreciate any input if anyone knows how to remedy this situation.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
Hi,

Ever since I got the iPhone 6, the left earpod of my headphones has gradually decreased in overall volume, until the point where I can only hear sound coming out of it when i'm surrounded by silence. The right bud is fine. Has anyone else had this problem? Also when this happens, the headphone always feels different sitting in my ear.

This is really frustrating; I've gotten the iPhone 5, 5s, and now 6 (the phones that shipped with the new earpods) and this has happened with the 5s headphones, but not to this extent. I'm pretty meticulous with how I treat my electronics so I can't for the life of me figure out why my headphones keep breaking. The only thing I can think of is that I have hair over my ear, and I work out 6 days a week and I sweat a lot and the sweat makes my headphones wet, but I don't only sweat on my left side, I sweat on both sides and the right ear pod has never given me any issue despite getting wet from sweat.

I'd appreciate any input if anyone knows how to remedy this situation.

Well, I have to admit I am also frustrated with this problem as I have to buy these headphones on regular basis for my older son. The symptom is exactly the same, always the left one breaks.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
They have a one year warranty. I know it doesn't answer your question of why but It would get them replaced.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Sounds like you should get a sports pair for working out and use the Apple headphones for daily use.

Shure or Yurbo

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
I thought I'd update this thread with a solution I found. I saw online that some people had luck with taking the speaker grille out. So I tried to use a small flathead screwdriver, but instead I ended up denting my speaker grille. It looks really weird, but what do you know...my volume has been great ever since.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.