Headphones plugged in sound from speakers work, headphones unplugged spkrs dnt work

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andrewtheboss, Feb 16, 2008.

1. andrewtheboss macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook Pro from 06 of december and i use it for leisure and recording music. I recently plugged in headphones to my mac and everything went haywire. The internal speakers didnt work unless i plugged in the headphones. Ive taken it to the mac store and the guy suggested that the sound card has been damaged or i might need a new output. i would like a second opinion. i know the speakers work its just when i plug in the headphones the speakers work and if i unplug the headphones the internal speakers dont work. The internal speakers do not show up on the sound preferences . What do i do? I have read threads about moving a toothpick or etc in the speaker i/o and the red light shows up and goes away WHAT DO I DO! please respond soon because im running out of time!:(:apple:

2. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Do the internal speakers show up in the system preferences when your headphones are plugged in?

3. andrewtheboss thread starter macrumors newbie

well now when i plug in the headphones the speakers do not show up. When i reboot my mac the sound it makes when it reboots is audible but after that it doesnt work

4. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I along with many other MBP owners have this problem. It's something to do with the mobo and Apple will fix it if it's under warranty. I don't know how much it costs if out of warranty but I think all Apple does is replace the audio port and you should be up and running.

Do you get a red light coming from the inside of the audio port? If so then it's the documented problem I speak of. If not, then I am sorry, I don't know what that is all about.

5. odagled macrumors member

so do you have the red light showing up in the jack? Happened to me, persistence is the key.

6. andrewtheboss thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't get the red light. I took it to the mac store and they said they need to replace the audio port, but the guy was being a dick and i wasn't sure if he was telling me the truth or just b.s-ing me.

7. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Whatever the problem, it certainly sounds like a hardware fault. Let them fix it.

SL

8. go.mouse macrumors newbie

I just started experiencing exactly the same problem on my 2.4GHz 17" MBP. When headphones are not plugged in, it shows Digital Out (Type: Built-in Output) and the selected device has no output controls.

This is weird.