Heads up! AT&T officially changing dates AGAIN for upgrades for anyone in 2010

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by truciet, Jun 11, 2010.

1. truciet macrumors 6502

Ever since AT&T started moving everyone's update up a week or so before the keynote, a few of my lines did not get moved up. So like everyone else, I decided to email AT&T after the keynote. I get back:

After I got that, I was like whatever. 2 days later, sure enough, my 3 lines with upgrade dates of 08/2010, 10/2010, and 12/2010 moved up to 06/11/2010 :D

So after all this, AT&T has moved up 6 lines for me. Definitely a win/win situation for me. Again yours may vary since they're probably doing accounts by region.

2. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Confirms my feeling more that the iPhone will go to another carrier in the coming months.

3. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

How so? They made similar changes last year as far as everyone upgrades for the 3GS and the iPhone did not leave AT&T.

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Not to this extreme. Doesn't mean another carrier for sure, but AT&T's trying to lock everyone down for some reason.

5. juicexct macrumors member

I have a Blackberry Bold. I am eligible for an upgrade on 7/17/2010. Will I be able to get the iPhone for 199/299 on June 15th? Or would my upgrade only be bumped up if I was a current iPhone customer?

6. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Yeah, they are just learning from last year when all the crybabies cried that they were still under contract and couldn't buy the latest Apple gadget at launch.

And yet, we are still getting crybabies that have their upgrade date fall past December 31. :rolleyes:

Current iPhone customer I believe. So you'll be waiting 3 weeks after launch.

7. fuzion macrumors 6502

I don't recall them doing that last year; certainly not 6 months otherwise I would have picked up a 3GS.

.. and this move totally implies a sense of new iPhone carrier, think about it, if you had pissed off customers, who weren't available to upgrade until late 2010, and in late 2010 or early 2011 a new carrier arrives, what would stop them from going? Renewing a new 2 year contract so they are locked in before a new iPhone carrier arrives is a good way to keep your customer base. They won't want to pay to get out of the contract, so AT&T maintains the upperhand.

It seems like a move to 1) eliminate older iphone models and 2) allow AT&T to maintain as many customers as they can before the iPhone goes multi carrier in the US.

Of course AT&T in theory has the deal with Apple until 2012, but if Apple is getting bad PR on the iPhone due to AT&Ts network, Apple might be putting pressure on AT&T to allow another carrier. Perhaps the iPad / AT&T deal was a concession the two agreed upon so Apple could get the iPhone on another carrier sooner. Who knows! :)

8. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Last year it was about 3 or 4 months, but definitely not 6 months. It sounds good, but isn't the agreement intact until 2012 between Apple & AT&T?

9. fuzion macrumors 6502

I edited my post hehe -_-

10. juicexct macrumors member

I'm just going to use my dad's upgrade, because I actually lost my blackberry and I can't use a regular phone for another month.

11. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

They moved people up 3 months last year....people who had upgrade dates in July, August and September were allowed to purchase on launch date

12. fuzion macrumors 6502

I didn't know that, I could have picked up a 3GS damnit. Oh well, glad I waited!

13. truciet thread starter macrumors 6502

For me, AT&T has moved up my lines. I have 3 lines that has always been moved up for special pricing 2G > 3G > 3GS > 4.

My other 3 lines were moved up too from 3GS > 4.

AT&T's service has been great for me. I get 25% off so my rates aren't bad. I don't mind renewing. They are doing us a favor by allowing early upgrades for iPhone customers. However, it does suck for people that have regular phones and can't upgrade early unless their bill is $80+ per line.

I don't even qualify by how much I spend since I have the base 550 Family Plan! I have bonus minutes on each line so my 550 is rolled over every month. I have 5k+ lol

14. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I thought last year they changed it so that if you bought a 3G in the summer of 2008 you were able to get a 3GS at the best price if you bought it in the summer of 2009?? I bought my 3G at the end of August 2008 and picked up my 3GS on launch day 2009 at the new contract price. I'm not suggesting that I got hooked up, just that I thought this was their policy

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Nope, I was only eligible for an early upgrade last year. I bought my 3G on launch day 2008.

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Keep dreaming. Maybe a year or so from now, but not in the "coming months," which I take to mean before the end of the year.

It's amazing isn't it?

17. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

According to the rep that emailed me, it's for EVERYONE even though their marketing materials are targeting iPhone customers.

From an AT&T email I received:

18. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I think eventually what will happen is that if Verizon gets the iphone. That Apple will allow AT&T to have an exclusive on each new version of it for like 6 months. Im just guessing that the AT&T iphone and when and if the Verizon iphone will have different Refresh cycles.

Sorta like how Blackberry does with some carriers getting a 5-6 month lead on others.

19. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Anyone ever changed features/rate plans mid-contract in such a way that it increased your total bill to $100+? If so, what was the effect on eligibility? Did it move your eligibility up to 12 months?

20. MattWylde macrumors regular

This is simple marketing for AT&T. Of course they want to let you upgrade early so that they make you sign a new 2-year agreement. Do you recall that not long ago they drastically increased the early termination fee? They've now got you locked with the new agreement.

Also, the new iPhone is going to use more data than previous models. With AT&T's new data plan structure, they are in position to make a killing off the new iPhone when people start watching Netflix, streaming Pandora in the background, sending recorded HD video over MMS/email, etc. When iOS4 is released to the public, data consumption is going to skyrocket.

I can't stand AT&T for how they are gouging the iPhone customers. I pray for the day that ANY OTHER CARRIER in the US will get to host the iPhone. AT&T desperately needs competition here, or we will all suffer.

21. alent1234 macrumors 603

or maybe Apple and AT&T are dropping the price of the phone

22. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

I send an SMS To: *639#, or *NEW# with a blank space in the message, then press Send, it sends it, and nothing comes back. ????

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

We've known for a while that anyone eligible in 2010 will be eligible this month.

24. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

You're right, but they didn't update one of my lines, expiring Nov 2010, until 3 or 4 days ago. So, it seems that it wasn't one mass update.

25. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

You dial *639# from the phone application. Then AT&T sends you a SMS.