Health Care Repeal would increase deficit by $230,000,000,000

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dscuber9000, Jan 6, 2011.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Good. The health care bill isn't going anywhere. Now all we have to do is amend it and add the public option.

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

I didn't realize our legislation impacts other countries. ;)

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Quite. The American exceptionalism line is really lame - especially when its far from true (as with healthcare).

4. dscuber9000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Boehner sure forgot about 2008 real quick. I'm pretty sure Americans said loud and clear that we DON'T have the best health care system in the world. The 2010 bill may not be the best thing ever, but to say that we currently are #1 means Boehner is just full of himself.

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

No, Boehner is right. America does have the best healthcare in the world. You just have to be privileged and rich enough( like himself) to receive it. :D :p

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Here's what I want to know.

Boehner called the health care bill a 'job killer'. Seeing that jobs are on the turnaround again and starting to rise, I would seriously hope someone has the nads to call him out and explain which jobs are being killed by this bill.

BL.

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

There is zero chanmce the GOP are going to be able to repeal this bill. They are making noise about this purely to score points with their core support. It's simply not going to happen.

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Except that his words were "healthcare system". How you define the goals of the system determines your assessment of its quality. If you think it should implement Darwinian selection based on personal economic means, then you are likely to consider it successful.

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I wouldn't credit Boehner with that much mental nuance. It's just hyper-nationalistic chest-beating. Boehner couldn't describe the characteristics of the top 10, or even top 5 or top 3 healthcare systems in the world, because he never did any research on them. He is therefore totally unqualified to pronounce on who has the "best" healthcare system. He's talking out of his backside.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

From the OP's link:

Well, there's a tremendous bit of hypocrisy to start off the new term. :mad:

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The hypocrisy is so damn open and no one calls them on it. And, in what can only be described as a completely *******e move, Michelle Bachman will be on the Intelligence Committee.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Oh, terrific. That's about as smart as giving a toddler a handgun.

13. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

America has absolutely the best healthcare system in the world at funneling money from the sick and the injured into the pockets of those for whom Mr. Boehner is paid to speak. That is the only system he cares about protecting, and the error is yours if you believed a healthcare system was supposed to accomplish something else. What makes America better that everyone is that we understand nothing besides maximizing private profit means anything.

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It's very difficult to be the majority party, as the GOP are about to discover. The same methods they used to block legislation over the last couple years are now going to become their bane.

I predict that the Tea Partiers in particular are going to have a hard time of it - many of them are politically inexperienced and, depite all their bombast, will ultimately be outmaneuvered into insignificance. The GOP will force them to either tow the line or become politically impotent.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Washington lobbyists. :)

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I see a lot of words like "probably" and "estimate" in there.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What? You mean somebody didn't post using absolute terms?

That's always a catastrophic blunder!

There's never a scintilla of truth to any post that doesn't include at least one!

Ever. :rolleyes:

18. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Fixed that for you.

19. mgguy, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

If rollback increased the deficit by not taxing folks as much as they would be taxed under Obamacare, it might be a good thing because it would allow people to keep more of the money they earn.

20. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Actually the title of this thread indicates certainty while the article doesn't. For such an important announcement it seems like there should be some good hard numbers backing it up. I pay my own healthcare and I've noticed my premiums go up with or without this reform in its current state. So my options are in which case do my premiums increase less quickly. Is it okay with you if we study the issue instead of jumping head first into already-well-traveled ruts in personal opinion?

Also here is your post in a church sign

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Nice trick.

22. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

We need to keep in mind that obamacare taxes over the full 10 years but incurs costs for I believe only 7 years. This is how it got assessed by CBO as reducing the deficit over 10 years. Beyond that, the difference between revenue and costs shrink, and costs eventually exceeds revenue. So over the longer haul, repeal would be expected to decrease the deficit.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Link?