Health Plan Cost for New Yorkers Set to Fall 50%

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Jul 17, 2013.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I blame Obama.

I can't wait. When I was unemployed several years ago, I was unable to obtain good insurance in NYS for less than $1,400 a month (single and healthy). A lousy hospitalization plan (for hospital emergencies only and maximum benefit of $10,000 a year) was just under $700.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/17/health/health-plan-cost-for-new-yorkers-set-to-fall-50.html?_r=0

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

DON'T BELIEVE IT, a liberal lie created just to confuse weak kneed conzervatives. :p

3. MegamanX macrumors regular

And they are still getting ripped off. I think I had insurance single and healthy and under 30 at 110ish a month. It was not the best but it had like a 40 co pay for doctors. It was a high deductible for hospitals but still. It had a life time max at the time of 1 mil and no max for a year. Now of course this was in Texas.

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Yeah? Well...uh...

Oh, I got it...

Even though I'm paying less, I'm still paying for some deadbeat to get healthcare off MY DOLLAR! IT'S MONEY OUT OF MY POCKET, AND THAT MAKES ME MAD! :mad:

5. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It boils down to this, do you want to pay for emergency room care or preventative care?

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Don't expect cheaper rates because one is young and healthy going forward. The new model will require young and healthy people to pay into these programs to subsidize old and unhealthy people.

That's fine, because we all become old and unhealthy at some point.

I'm glad costs are starting to come down. Healthcare has been a tragedy in this country.

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

That's what the rub is for every social program out there, even insurance policies if you think about it. I don't want to pay for them. Philosophically I'd argue that helping the underprivileged, overall helps society. However I do demand that such programs are run efficiently and effectively.

I know a couple where they both work and don't have enough to buy their companies health insurance deal. It's pay the rent or pay for health insurance. I would not describe them as deadbeats.

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    You don't have to explain it to me. The above quote was entirely facetious. A play off the usual "I don't want to pay for someone else to be a deadbeat" replies that inveitably come up.

Though the best response to that is usually the simplest. Stating "you already are" matter of factly, then explaining why a gauze bandage and a dab of ointment costs upwards of $300 in the ER is usually more than enough to get them to start stuttering and making up excuses.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Gotcha... :)

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's crazy to think of insurance premiums that exceed the monthly income of the lowest wage levels.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

12. maxosx macrumors 68020

Set to fall to 50%? In New York ?

The only way this will happen is if they strip the coverage down to a sliver of what it is now. This is total BS.

But I bet there's a lot of people that will fall for this ruse. It's exactly what they want to hear, and are gullible enough to believe it.

13. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I suggest you read the associated NY Times article.

New York state is somewhat of an outlier when it comes to insurance costs: it mandated many of the coverages required by the (new) ACA without mandating participation. So, for that reason participation in the individual insurance market was heavily weighted towards people with pre-existing conditions.

The Affordable Care Act is, by and large, acting as its promoters suggested it would: By promoting free market competition among insurers, in exchange for a larger pool of potential customers (ie. the previously uninsured) - it is helping bring down rates, while boosting coverage. Individuals will be able to choose - for themselves - from a variety of plan benefit levels.

14. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

Here's one for you:

My cost INCREASED by about 40%

15. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Glad someone is benefitting. I'm open to healthcare reform and hope the ACA brings affordable medical care to more people, but thus far, virtually all of my friends are seeing premiums that are significantly higher than before...especially those working for small businesses. My best friend's company is getting hit so hard that when they got their new premium, they stopped hiring because they couldn't afford it in the budget (construction management...so they are hurting as it is with the current state of the economy).

----------

I'm sorry to hear :(

That's about what happened to my buddy's company and they're already hurting plenty. No major change to the benefits, either. They are currently playing with slashing the amount of benefits and other cost-cutting so that they can afford to insure their people. Hopefully it will get better for them and business will pick up...

16. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

We'll see. I have serious concerns about pushing people into the pit of private insurance.

I am advocate of single payer and universal healthcare.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That is so cool.

I look forward to joining you in this next great cultural battle.

18. maxosx macrumors 68020

I have read the articles, in fact I dare say I'm much more familiar with ACA than most. Largely because I'm neither a Republican or Democrat. Landing near the center, I have no trust in the current or past administration's, therefore I take advantage of my love of reading & research to stay as well informed as possible. The way you've explained it above is exactly as they would have us believe. Yet if any of that was true wouldn't have pushed back the full rollout to businesses and such till after the next election cycle.

19. malman89 macrumors 68000

Do you have cancer or a laundry list of pre-existing conditions? I cannot fathom anyone's single health insurance premium being anything remotely close to the cost of yours.

20. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

As I stated, I am healthy. Here are three costs for full insurance in NYS today. Note the first does nto cover office visits, the second if full insurance (which I have always had) and the third os for self-employed only.

Attached Files:

21. ugahairydawgs, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013

ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Are those for individual or family plans?

Edit: Just saw what state you are looking in. Isn't it pretty much understood that just about everything is more expensive in New York state? Those prices you are listing there about double what we pay in GA, but lots of stuff down here is cheaper than what you have up there.

22. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Did you look at alternatives like Healthy NY low income plans (for which unemployed people presumably qualify)? They usually have high-deductible plans for $250/mo and regular plans for under $400.

Btw, a high deductible plan (e.g. $10,000 deductible) doesn't mean you're only covered up to $10k. It means youre out of pocket up to $10k and the insurance kicks in after you've spent $10k in a year. Its insurance in the original sense - the point is to have it in case you get hit by a bus or develop cancer and would otherwise be dealing with tens or hundreds of thousands in bills.

And while most doctor visits are not covered (generally preventative care is covered), you also get insured rates, rather than uninsured rates, on all medical care up to the deductible. Insured rates are far higher than co-pays, but can be a factor of 10 lower than uninsured rates, especially for hospital care.

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Great news for those 17,000 new yorkers. This also probably assumes that everyone buys insurance instead of paying the tax penalty. Personally if I was 27 again I would just pay the IRS, much cheaper.

The HC corps are about to hit a cash trove when all of these corporations blow employees off their health care plans.

24. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Single.

I didn't qualify for any of the low income plans, earned way too much for them. There are only a handful of plans available (at least until the exchanges kick in) in NYS. I have a friend who was laid off and his COBRA runs $735 a month. Ridiculous.

25. MegamanX macrumors regular

Well part of the reason the prices dropped is the fact that the insurance companies know that people will have easy access to know everyone elses prices.
    On top of that their is now a cap on what their P&O can be. A cap I feel is still way to high. It is sad that they had to set a legal cap of profit and overhead. Before ACA they had some pretty insane P&O