Health report was suppressed, officials say

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Jul 29, 2007.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'll bet he didn't.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-report29jul29,1,5403031.story

2. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Corporate greed has turned the entire planet into a superfund site.

This just shows you how "canned" the information is
    coming from our esteemed leadership.

Never mind the truth, we'll tell you what to think.

3. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

If every document that comes out of a federal agency has to be a political document, why would anyone trust anything that the feds say? As far as I'm concerned I don't think people were too trusting of the feds even before Bush came to power. How can we as a society continue to work and live and rely on our government if we can't rely on any of the information it provides us. How can other governments rely on our government if it is so blatantly manipulative and dishonest?

These people are scary evil.

4. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Tackle global health problems? What's that I just felt in my pocket? :eek:

5. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The ironies are so thick you could hardly dent them with a chain saw. After decades of Republicans telling us that government is the problem and not to be trusted, they have finally perfected the techniques of making absolutely certain of it.

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Your tackle?

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Have you ever heard of infectious disease? There's no better example of why me-first libertarianism is naive.

8. Desertrat macrumors newbie

While I have negative views about hiding such reports, I also have a negative view about the tax dollars spent on creating it.

'Scuse me: Who didn't know that poverty and health problems run together? We've spent millions and millions on just this sort of foreign aid, these last fifty or sixty years. Tax dollars. Church dollars. Private-sector dollars. Started before they ever thought up the Peace Corps, much less other programs and efforts...

'Rat

9. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

And there have been dramatic improvements in public health as a result of many of these projects. Not to say that many projects haven't been failures and that the aid/development industry isn't flawed, but to imply it's useless or a waste of money is wrong.

10. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

One of the issues in play here is U.S. corporate responsibility abroad -- companies polluting in the developing world at levels which would be regarded as criminal in the U.S. or elsewhere in industrialized nations.

FWIW, the investment policies of the Gates Foundation have been called into question on this account, as they happily invest in corporations which cause the very public health problems in the developing world that they are supposedly committed to solving. They also refuse to use their considerable clout to change the air and water pollution policies of the companies in which they invest.

But none of this is to be talked about by our government. It's all got to be hushed up, if it doesn't serve the White House political agenda.

11. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Yeah, I'd prefer to keep it where it originates.

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

There's more to life than money.

Even more thinly veiled racism. I guess we should lock down the US then. Nothing and no one in, even imported goods and tourists. Nothing out either. That'll fix the problem. Even better, maybe we can just bomb the people who get sick. :rolleyes:

Seriously, where do you even come up with this stuff?

What do you think.

14. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Under a bridge, apparently.

15. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

This is really just the tip of the iceberg for Bush and Public health. I recently caught part of a short documentary about this. The last three SGs are coming forth with an incredible amount of information on how the administration has betayed the trust of the American people.

16. Desertrat macrumors newbie

milo, I'm objecting to the reinventing of the wheel inherent in a study with the cited conclusions. I'm not objecting to what's been done "out there" with the money that's been spent. FWIW, my mother was peripherally involved when in the Philippines, back in the middle 1950s--and good things were indeed accomplished.

And, no, I haven't read the study. Why would I bother?

You don't have to go very far to see what poor health and poverty combine to produce, nor go very far to see what industrial pollution can do to poor people.

Mexico. The area around Matamoros. The industrial-effluent crud going into ditches from which poverty-stricken people get their drinking water has--among other problems--caused babies to come to term with no brain.

'Rat

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If only. But I fear he is being serious. Scary.

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, I'd like to see the study to see just exactly what conclusions were reached and to see whether or not the study was necessary. It's obvious, but so are a lot of scientific inquiries, the point is to see exactly why connections—which are obvious—happen. For instance, what industrial effluent causes birth-defects, how does it seep into the water-supply, how can it be removed and how long does it last, would all be questions I'd expect a surgeon-general report to address. This seems like an important and necessary thing to do.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You'd think this would be a given, but not to some people.

20. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

And how do you propose to do that?

21. Desertrat macrumors newbie

hulugu, a "study" would involve back-tracking the parents of a no-brain infant to their residence. See from which ditch they get their water. Go up the ditch to see who's dumping into it. Two hours?

But after some fifteen years, Mexico has done zip, zilch, nada. Oh, and the chemicals HAVE been identified, as also the corporations.

Folks are always hollering about losing jobs to slave labor levels of wages. The jobs have mostly gone to where the costs of pollution control are not part of the capital investment or the operating overhead. The U.S. becomes cleaner, and poverty folks elsewhere get screwed. But the Sierra Clubbers are happier as are the big-box stores' shoppers.

All hail consumerism, and $9,000 average household credit card debt...

'Rat

22. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Here you go. Both the original draft and the released version:

http://oversight.house.gov/story.asp?ID=1440

23. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Again, suppression of either version wasn't righteous.

Except for providing updated numbers, the Carmona draft contained in one place items of information that have been in the newspapers for years and years. With more numbers than the Steiger draft, the magnitude of the various problems are better explained.

The Steiger draft did not use as many words per problem. It gave the names of agencies which are involved in dealing with health problems. From that standpoint, it was more useful as to who is doing what for world health.

In neither draft do I see anything in the way of a "study". There is the pulling together of known information. A blending of the two, adding the agency names to the Carmona draft would have created a quite useful document as an overview.

Separately: Did you catch the bit about Vitamin A? There was a TV segment on such a program in the Philippines. I don't recall the auspices, beyond U.S. money, nor do I know if it's an ongoing effort. But the TV segment was some 15 years ago.

'Rat