Heaphone jack will be next thing to shrink

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by walkman, Sep 24, 2012.

1. walkman macrumors member

Look at the bottom of the iP5 - if Apple wants to make the phone any thinner they are going to have to do something with the headphone jack.

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

They could use 1 universal lighting plug for the headphone as well!

I have this lenovo dumb phone that has a micro usb plug that I can use for charging, and headphone too! :eek:

I thought it was a koo concept just 1 standard plug on the phone.

Then again of course ppl gonna bitch about not being standard or will need an adapter to use a 3.5 jack headphone.

3. Riiyah macrumors newbie

First thing when I woke up this morning, I saw the headphone jack and I thought, damn they're going to have to make a proprietary headphone jack next. I don't think that will happen anytime soon though.

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

They shouldn't make the phone any thinner, it'll get into iPod touch territory then, where the thinness makes it uncomfortable to hold.

5. iregret macrumors 6502

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I dunno. They already tried the 'non-standard headphone jack size' thing on the first iPhone and I don't think it was popular. Given that the iPod Shuffle has a headphone jack, I think this is one they won't end up touching.

You're right that this may be what defines the limit but, well, something has to!

7. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Yeah, the iPod touch is way thinner and it uses a standard headphone jack.

BTW...I can deal with proprietary charging/docking cables (especially since the iPhone is popular enough that they end up available everywhere anyway), but if they switch to a proprietary headphone jack, I will be finished with the iPhone. And I love the iPhone. I've used Android on my tablet plenty, and I don't want to switch, especially not to a monster screened phablet...but I won't be locked into Apple only headphones. That's a standard that has existed for 30-40 years, and changing it would be absolutely ridiculous.

8. solo118 macrumors 65816

Or they can force you to use Bluetooth headsets :p

9. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

We do not know if Apple wants to make the phone thinner. I highly doubt it

10. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

you can already get 2.5mm headphone jacks - my Nokia work phone uses one for its handsfree kit. You don't get much choice in the headphones that work with it though.

11. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Uh... dumb phones USED to come with a 2.5" headphone jack and people hated it. Apple was the ones who pretty much pushed the 3.5" jack on all of their devices.

Also... The first Android phones used the micro USB plug for headphones and people complained about it. I don't think the standard jack will go away. Too many people use premium headphones... Beats...etc.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The first iPhone had a standard headphone jack, in that any regular headphone could plug into it. The issue was that the opening in the external shell didn't accept headphones with fatter jack handles.

13. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

If Apple wants to provide us with better than decent (read: premium) ear plugs, then I'm all for it.

14. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

i think they will go for slim throughout till it reaches the headphone port where it thickens out.

15. guinnkevinr macrumors newbie

Honestly, I wouldn't want the phone any thinner. The iPhone 5 already feels too think when in my hands for some reason. (Not complaining, just don't think I'd like it any thinner). I have a incipio case on it now and it feels like just the right size with it on.

16. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Even the iPod touch, which is thinner still, has a 3.5mm headphone jack.

i don't see the iPhone getting thinner than the 3.5mm jack until there's a major technology shift. They've already made the case as thin as they can, they've already made the screen+touch+glass about as thin as they can get, and what's left is the battery and logic board.

Maybe with some sort of future case material like Liquidmetal it will get as thin as the iPod touch is now. I doubt it will get any thinner than that unless there's some sort of major form factor shift in the future, like flexible devices.

17. Beezzy macrumors 6502

Remember when they tried that with the OG iPhone. Didn't work out so well for them. A charger is one thing but no way will they mess with the headphone jack.

18. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Huh. I didn't have one so I didn't know that. Everyone I knew who had the first iPhone needed that tiny adapter so I guess they all had fatter headphones.

But seeing as how so many people needed that adapter, I'd kind of say it was 'non-standard,' even if some headphones could use it.

19. Littleman macrumors regular

Littleman

Yep

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

They need to keep the phone as it is in terms of thickness. Also, trying to "revolutionize" the headphone jack will really cause an uproar unless headphone manufactures are willing to start producing products for Apple only. In that case we can kiss buying headphones for cheap.

21. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

They will probably force companies to build AirPlay into there headphones.