Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walkman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Look at the bottom of the iP5 - if Apple wants to make the phone any thinner they are going to have to do something with the headphone jack.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
They could use 1 universal lighting plug for the headphone as well!

I have this lenovo dumb phone that has a micro usb plug that I can use for charging, and headphone too! :eek:

I thought it was a koo concept just 1 standard plug on the phone.

Then again of course ppl gonna bitch about not being standard or will need an adapter to use a 3.5 jack headphone.

Riiyah

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Look at the bottom of the iP5 - if Apple wants to make the phone any thinner they are going to have to do something with the headphone jack.

First thing when I woke up this morning, I saw the headphone jack and I thought, damn they're going to have to make a proprietary headphone jack next. I don't think that will happen anytime soon though.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
They shouldn't make the phone any thinner, it'll get into iPod touch territory then, where the thinness makes it uncomfortable to hold.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I dunno. They already tried the 'non-standard headphone jack size' thing on the first iPhone and I don't think it was popular. Given that the iPod Shuffle has a headphone jack, I think this is one they won't end up touching.

You're right that this may be what defines the limit but, well, something has to!

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Yeah, the iPod touch is way thinner and it uses a standard headphone jack.

BTW...I can deal with proprietary charging/docking cables (especially since the iPhone is popular enough that they end up available everywhere anyway), but if they switch to a proprietary headphone jack, I will be finished with the iPhone. And I love the iPhone. I've used Android on my tablet plenty, and I don't want to switch, especially not to a monster screened phablet...but I won't be locked into Apple only headphones. That's a standard that has existed for 30-40 years, and changing it would be absolutely ridiculous.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
you can already get 2.5mm headphone jacks - my Nokia work phone uses one for its handsfree kit. You don't get much choice in the headphones that work with it though.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Uh... dumb phones USED to come with a 2.5" headphone jack and people hated it. Apple was the ones who pretty much pushed the 3.5" jack on all of their devices.

Also... The first Android phones used the micro USB plug for headphones and people complained about it. I don't think the standard jack will go away. Too many people use premium headphones... Beats...etc.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I dunno. They already tried the 'non-standard headphone jack size' thing on the first iPhone and I don't think it was popular. Given that the iPod Shuffle has a headphone jack, I think this is one they won't end up touching.

The first iPhone had a standard headphone jack, in that any regular headphone could plug into it. The issue was that the opening in the external shell didn't accept headphones with fatter jack handles.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
If Apple wants to provide us with better than decent (read: premium) ear plugs, then I'm all for it.

guinnkevinr

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Honestly, I wouldn't want the phone any thinner. The iPhone 5 already feels too think when in my hands for some reason. (Not complaining, just don't think I'd like it any thinner). I have a incipio case on it now and it feels like just the right size with it on.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Even the iPod touch, which is thinner still, has a 3.5mm headphone jack.

i don't see the iPhone getting thinner than the 3.5mm jack until there's a major technology shift. They've already made the case as thin as they can, they've already made the screen+touch+glass about as thin as they can get, and what's left is the battery and logic board.

Maybe with some sort of future case material like Liquidmetal it will get as thin as the iPod touch is now. I doubt it will get any thinner than that unless there's some sort of major form factor shift in the future, like flexible devices.

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
Remember when they tried that with the OG iPhone. Didn't work out so well for them. A charger is one thing but no way will they mess with the headphone jack.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
The first iPhone had a standard headphone jack, in that any regular headphone could plug into it. The issue was that the opening in the external shell didn't accept headphones with fatter jack handles.

Huh. I didn't have one so I didn't know that. Everyone I knew who had the first iPhone needed that tiny adapter so I guess they all had fatter headphones.

But seeing as how so many people needed that adapter, I'd kind of say it was 'non-standard,' even if some headphones could use it.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
They need to keep the phone as it is in terms of thickness. Also, trying to "revolutionize" the headphone jack will really cause an uproar unless headphone manufactures are willing to start producing products for Apple only. In that case we can kiss buying headphones for cheap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.