Heard in the 15" to go Previous Gen 2.4 or New 2.66, and no point in 2.53. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tangerinedress, Jun 11, 2009.

1. tangerinedress macrumors newbie

So someone explained why it would be better to stick with the previous gen 15" 2.4ghz, and said that it is because the way the video chip is built on that computer would affect my CPU usage. I was also told that I should go either previous gen 2.4ghz, or the newbie 2.66, because the 2.53 lacks this video chip thang? Whatever this all means, it makes some more sense to me than the express card slot argument, only bc I doubt I would ever use this.

So, is it worth it to spend the extra dough on the 2.66 newbie, or just save and get the 2.4 previous gen? I had my last computer for 5 years, and that's why this decision has been so distressing, it's a big financial dip and I want it to work as an independent musician for the long haul.

or would it perhaps be best to get the previous gen 2.53 refurb at apple? head spinning, sigh! thanks!!!

XOX
    SOS

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.101 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

Exactly what video chip "thang" are you referring to?

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

You need to explain yourself better.

There is the Non-unibody Macbook Pro, the class unibody macbook pro, and the current (new) unibody macbook pro.

4. apthai86 macrumors member

I think what your friend is talking about is the GPU (basically video card).

The new 2.53Ghz only comes with the 9400m GPU where as the previous 2.4Ghz and the current 2.66Ghz have the 9400m and the 9600m GT GPU.

5. tangerinedress thread starter macrumors newbie

apologies. yes, it is what the previous person has said. I am lacking in efficient computer language. So therefore, with the video card element in mind, best to go with the 2.4 refurb, 2.53 refurb, or the newer 2.66. This is for longterm home audio. thanks!

6. migsev macrumors regular

First of all, how much are you looking to spend? I don't think the graphics card would matter a lot to you if you're using it for home audio. What exactly do you mean by home audio? If you're just going to use is as a music station, then the cheapest one loaded with a 500gb hard drive would be enough for your needs.

7. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.101 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

What do you mean by home audio?

Just heads up, the 13" MB has no audio/mic in anymore...

8. tangerinedress thread starter macrumors newbie

independent musician. making records on protools in home recording studio with great outboard gear on an LE system. Mixing happens on HD studio system.

9. cube macrumors G5

I think the suppossedly better screens won't matter to you.

On the other hand, I would expect some music applications will take advantage of OpenCL, so the discrete graphics card will give you more power.

And ExpressCard allows you to add eSATA, another FireWire port (maybe with a more compatible chip), or some other expansion.

Go for prev gen.

10. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

11. tangerinedress thread starter macrumors newbie

12. tangerinedress thread starter macrumors newbie

last ??
    a million thank yous for walking me through this with everyones expertise, such an expensive big purchase!

but i noticed my quote from tekserve with the previous gen 2.4GHz is about $300 more than the apple refurb 2.53 previous GHz (when i factor in tax and one day air ship, need to get to work:). Hmmm... go with Tekserve an unused and ready to work computer tomorrow or wait the weekend to have the extra GHz on the refurb?

(sorry if i already posed this in some fashion)

13. mike1123 macrumors 6502

mike1123

Keep in mind that the refurbs don't have the new battery, if that matters to you. If the newer models didn't have it, I would totally buy an old refurb right now.

14. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

But there's also a trade-off with that. The new battery is non-removable so you can't swap it. While the longer battery life is supposed to make up for that limitation, I view it as an important feature.

For example, what happens when your battery stops holding a charge? Now, you get to send the whole laptop off for repair. I believe Apple could have offered a long-life battery while maintaining its modularity, but it seems like their laptops are going the way of iPods... "Disposable" devices.

And even though I'm probably one of the 1-2% of Apple notebook users that actually use the EC slot, the absence of it on the new 15" model is a deal breaker for me. I'll keep my pre-Unibody Early 2008 MBP for a while. :)

15. tangerinedress thread starter macrumors newbie

just ordered the 2.53 refurb, what a weight off to just have decided and be done with it (fingers crossed)!! sincere thanks for the help!