Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
16 kHz is the highest I could get. Ok 19 if I crank the volume way up.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
My highest was 16. I couldn't even tell 17 was making noise other than my speakers crackled when it came on.

I'm 18 years old, if that makes a difference.

ender land

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
This test is awful. There is a TON of noise in the samples that becomes really noticeable at the higher frequencies. 21k has a really obvious lower tone present.

espiritujo

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2011
columbia, sc
I'm 19 and the highest I could hear was 14 kHz :eek:

I know that I have some loss of hearing though. My dad has been wearing hearing aids since he was in his 30's I believe. When he was a child, he had an ear infection and his family couldn't afford the treatment (he was raised in the Philippines). Hopefully I won't get the same thing:(

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I'm 24, and I could hear them all. At 20khz and above it can be difficult to tell if you're hearing it or not...using regular speakers, one thing that helps make the sound stand out is to point your ear at the speaker, then turn your head side to side, alternately pointing your ear towards and away from the speaker. 21 and 22 didn't sound like anything, but as I turned my head I picked them up instantly.

While I don't consider myself an 'audiophile' (aka sucker) and I don't have a $50,000 home audio system, I am really interested in the different ways we perceive sound, and particularly music. How well we hear has to be part of it. When I'm away from home I really crave being able to sit down and listen to my favorite music wonderfully reproduced by my big JBL speakers, whereas many of my friends are perfectly content to listen to 64kbps YouTube rips on their laptop speakers. Interesting stuff.

Last edited:

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
I'm 21 and highest I could hear was 19 kHz. My ears are destroyed from the 200+ concerts I've been to, so I'm surprised it's not worse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.