Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Uuuuuu... :(:confused:
Thank you for posting this.

This is EXACTLY what I hate about all in-ear headphones and I'd wondered if something about this design had eliminated it (venting/transparency, etc)

These will have no choice but to be a hard pass for me with this report.
I literally can not stand what you're describing.

lupend88

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010

This is EXACTLY what I hate about all in-ear headphones and I'd wondered if something about this design had eliminated it (venting/transparency, etc)

I don't experience what OP is describing at all, in case that matters to you

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I don't experience what OP is describing at all, in case that matters to you

In my experience, it seems to be hyper subjective based upon the person.
Those of us susceptible to it seem to experience with basically all earphones of this type of design.

It's a major bummer

TechFounder

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2015
"You're walking wrong" - Steve Jobs
You need to walk on your toes. ;)

All kidding aside, I find that you have to wear the largest tips you can use. I think a lot of people make the mistake of using the smallest which means that you'll need to stick it deeper than normal. This can lead to a more pronounced effect of this mechanical transfer. Try using the largest tips you can and you should see this effect diminished greatly.

lupend88

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
In my experience, it seems to be hyper subjective based upon the person.
Those of us susceptible to it seem to experience with basically all earphones of this type of design.

It's a major bummer

Ya that is a bummer. Designing for ears is a hard thing to do given the wide range of variance in sizes and shapes. My ears wouldnt fit in the first + second gen AirPods, so I'm just excited these fit great.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
That’s impossible lol, I asked 3 other people I know in person that got the AirPods Pro and they all know exactly what I’m describing.

I think it simply doesn't bother some people or maybe something about their ears/body/etc just isn't impacted by it.

I don't think there's anything that can be done for those of us it bothers. It's simply a function of the design/concept of in-ear headphones.

Reactions: seajewel and Sikh

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Not impossible at all. Like turbineseaplane mentioned, "it seems to be hyper subjective based upon the person" and I dont experience it at all.
How are you not experiencing it when your ears are literally PLUGGED to a Vacum with the AirPods Pro. With the mode set to OFF it’s unbearable. With Noise canceling there is a very loud echoing hum. With transperancy it’s fine but I can hear my walking. Keep in mind this is with the AirPods in the ears and nothing playing. If I’m playing content then it’s not noticeable as I’m paying attention to the content I’m playing and not the silence.

lupend88

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
How are you not experiencing it when your ears are literally PLUGGED to a Vacum with the AirPods Pro. With the mode set to OFF it’s unbearable. With Noise canceling there is a very loud echoing hum. With transperancy it’s fine but I can hear my walking. Keep in mind this is with the AirPods in the ears and nothing playing. If I’m playing content then it’s not noticeable as I’m paying attention to the content I’m playing and not the silence.

I wish I could tell you how I'm not experiencing it but I am. I am testing under the same circumstances as you. Maybe my step is lighter and my shoes are softer? Haha terrible theory I know, I just dont have any answers for you, I wish I could help.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I get the same effect (hearing my own footsteps) with anything that is close to an earseal. Think ear-protectors - the over-the-ear kind. Not just in-ear phones. I just get used to it. I remember walking with a friend a few years ago, through a contruction area - lots of noise. We both had the same ear protectors (the soft foam-y kind of ear inserts). My buddy could not hear his footsteps, and I could my own quite clearly.
I think some people don't hear it - or simply don't notice it. Probably differences in bone structure, or even differences in hearing loss (I have mild hearing loss)

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I have not experience this noise with the PBP's at all, even when going on out runs. Haven't gone out for a run yet with the Airpods Pro but plan to later today.

The key is - do you know what we mean?
It's possible it's not something you notice or that bothers you anyhow..

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
The key is - do you know what we mean?
It's possible it's not something you notice or that bothers you anyhow..

Yes, I believe the terminology is "microphonics". When the physical sound of the earphones and/or cable is heard in the ear canal.

This was a big deal in finding appropriate running headphones before truly wireless came out. Even the Bluetooth headphones with both sides connected was a big issue since the cable would bump on the back of my neck/head.

Reactions: DRunnerIV

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Yes, I believe the terminology is "microphonics". When the physical sound of the earphones and/or cable is heard in the ear canal.

This was a big deal in finding appropriate running headphones before truly wireless came out. Even the Bluetooth headphones with both sides connected was a big issue since the cable would bump on the back of my neck/head.

Hmm - interesting. I'm not sure that's what bothers me.
What I'm thinking of is I think more of a pressure related thing of the air trapped in the ear..
It's not cable related or "rubbing" or anything.

It's literally the sound of my own body impacting the ground - however/whatever is transmitting that.

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
Hmm - interesting. I'm not sure that's what bothers me.
What I'm thinking of is I think more of a pressure related thing of the air trapped in the ear..
It's not cable related or "rubbing" or anything.

It's literally the sound of my own body impacting the ground - however/whatever is transmitting that.

I think it's similar but it's quite possible we're referring to different things.

That being said, I put the PBP in one ear and APP in the other. Jumping around with nothing playing, I do hear more "bumping" with the APP. Kinda hard to explain but my thought it is has to do with the harder part of the tips coming into contact with your ear canal. The part where the tip connects to the earphones is smaller on the PBP's so I think that has to do with less "bumping" sound being heard since there's more cushion.

Unless you already are, try using a larger tip, which would give you a bit more cushion between the soft and hard part of the tips.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Unless you already are, try using a larger tip, which would give you a bit more cushion between the soft and hard part of the tips.

I don't have either model, mainly because I've seen/heard enough that "yep - problem still a problem for me".

When the holiday return window starts, maybe I'll try them on a flyer, but not optimistic based upon what I'm hearing (due to this specific issue).

I'm probably just going to look for a deal on some Gen2's to replace my Gen1's which are nearly toast (battery).

For outdoors/working out, I actually still use wired B&O Earset 3's
At the gym I even still use an iPod shuffle! (gasp! - lol)

This is one thing that drives me insane about the disposable nature of AirPods.

My B&O's I've had for like 10 years maybe? I would have to go look it's been so long..
And they just keep working and sounding great.. It's very nice..

bang_olufsen_1108426_earset_3i_with_remote_1426765904_1127447.jpg

chillip

macrumors 68030
Mar 16, 2013
I experience exactly what the OP refers to with the Pros. Its the same will ALL in ear buds like the pros. I ultimately prefer the original AirPods and will return the pros. I hope apple tweak the design of the originals to make them as small as the pros.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
I don't have either model, mainly because I've seen/heard enough that "yep - problem still a problem for me".

It's good you've found a set that you're happy with for this long but it's definitely not a problem with all similar earphones. I believe it's highly dependent on the tips being used. I've used active earphones similar to what your B&O looks like where a lot of noise was transferred through the earphone cable when running.

I run a lot and have gone through several iterations of "active" Bluetooth earphones over the years (Jaybirds, JLabs, Beats) and they've been hit or miss on the "thumping" noise with stock tips. But changing out the tips have always helped, for instance Comply foam tips are generally good at transferring no physical movement noise into the ear.

lupend88

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010

When the holiday return window starts, maybe I'll try them on a flyer, but not optimistic based upon what I'm hearing (due to this specific issue).

I'm probably just going to look for a deal on some Gen2's to replace my Gen1's which are nearly toast (battery).

For outdoors/working out, I actually still use wired B&O Earset 3's
At the gym I even still use an iPod shuffle! (gasp! - lol)

This is one thing that drives me insane about the disposable nature of AirPods.

My B&O's I've had for like 10 years maybe? I would have to go look it's been so long..
And they just keep working and sounding great.. It's very nice..

bang_olufsen_1108426_earset_3i_with_remote_1426765904_1127447.jpg

I had those exact same B&O's for about 5 years, they were excellent. Huge fan of that brand. These AirPods Pro are the first non-B&O set of headphones I have ever owned actually.

tripleh3lix

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014

This problem is actually pretty much eliminated with noise canceling on.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.