Heart Rate Monitor Observation & Question

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Fabienne, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

I just noticed that the plastic strap on my sports model AppleWatch has gotten looser. I think that made my heart rate a bit less precise. I tightened it but the point is that the wrist strap can stretch over time.

My question is what is the difference among the different types of heart rate measurements? What is the difference between elliptical, outdoor running, outdoor cycling, etc? Does the watch just take your heart rate at different time intervals (e.g. outdoor walking would take your rate once every 3 minutes and outdoor running would take your heart rate once every 30 seconds, for instance).

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I don't think the different workout settings affect how heart rate is measured. The settings are for calculating calories, distance, etc.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

When in an exercise mode the watch will take you HR continuously. Other than that the intervals are about every 10 minutes IF you arm is not moving:eek:

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, but OP wanted to know if, for example, Cycling Workout measured heart rate at different intervals than Running Workout. The answer is, no, they both measure heart rate continuously.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Agreed there is no difference in how the watch measures you HR no matter what you are doing.