Heart rate monitor

UKapple73

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Anyone else turn off the continuous heart rate monitoring like me?
I’ve always figured it will use a fair chunk of battery and I just turn it on when I do a workout or play sports etc
Also saves wear and tear on the sensors, which come on every 30 seconds or whatever 24/7
How much battery life does the heart rate use?

casperes1996

macrumors 603
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I’ve always figured it will use a fair chunk of battery and I just turn it on when I do a workout or play sports etc
Also saves wear and tear on the sensors, which come on every 30 seconds or whatever 24/7
The sensor really shouldn't wear down quickly enough for you to have issues with it no matter how often it fired. - I have had it on since I got my Series 4, and I get about 2 and a half days of batter

Reactions: BasicGreatGuy

StumpyBloke

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2012
England
No of course not LOL I question why you would even have an Apple Watch (or any smart watch for that matter) if you are worried about such non-issues?

UKapple73

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
No of course not LOL I question why you would even have an Apple Watch (or any smart watch for that matter) if you are worried about such non-issues?
Maybe because I want the thing to last, call me crazy but.....

casperes1996

macrumors 603
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Maybe because I want the thing to last, call me crazy but.....
Right. It’s good to take care of your things, but it’s made to last with the sensors firing often, and sensors like that really don’t break that easily. A million other things are more likely to fail first. Besides, there’s no point in saying a light bulb has lasted a million years if you’ve never turned it on. Use that falls under expected usage and not abuse should be enough to maintain products in respectable and lasting conditions to any expectable level of durability.

Reactions: Ntombi

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
You indicate you turn off HR to save battery, but don’t indicate you‘ve tested it or know how much it saves you in your use? Sensor won’t wear out in the watch’s few year expected useful life. AW has the most accurate and consistent wrist based HR around and it’s a key feature. Hey, but if you’re worried about it...to each his own. I can also say with certainty that your refrigerator compressor will last a lot longer if you unplug the fridge and will also use less energy.......;-)

StumpyBloke

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2012
England
Yeah thanks for the captain obvious responses guys
What did you seriously expect people to say? You’ve bought the best smart watch on the planet and turned off one of its main features for exactly no-good reason! You are questioned about it, you don’t like the response so you post a snarky comment or two.

My advice: Just enjoy your watch, stop trying to make it live longer than you, and get on with your life.

Last edited:

BasicGreatGuy

macrumors G5
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Unless there is an inherent defect with the watch, or it suffers from purposeful abuse or accident, it should last you several years, even with the heart rate monitor being on all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.