Heart rate sensor in fingerprint chip?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chestvrg, Sep 10, 2013.

1. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

Does anyone know if the new fingerprint chip will have other applications besides been a fingerprint reader such as a heart monitoring or heart beat sensor? Does that fingerprint chip has the required hardware to work for other applications such as the ones I described above?

2. adildacoolset, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2013

adildacoolset macrumors 65816

There probably isn't a heart rate sensor.

It's a capacitive sensor, which means that it uses the electrical conductivity properties of the skin.

It also detects the sub-epidermal layers of the skin, which are referred to as "active layers" (since those layers are living). It must be detecting things like electromagnetic patterns(I'm not so sure n this so I could be wrong) to make sure it is alive.

3. chestvrg thread starter macrumors 65816

chestvrg

Thank you for this response, it is quite disappointed Apple didn't think to revolutionize this new sensor and embed more capabilities, such as as quick heart rate monitor for running, for medical applications, and so on.

4. elistan macrumors 6502a

There already exist apps that (supposedly) measure heart rate via two different methods - camera, and accelerometer. Assuming those actually work, I don't think adding a third method would accomplish much.

5. apple.pseudofan, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

apple.pseudofan macrumors regular

For anyone who uses a heart rate monitor for exercise, it isn't a surprise at all that this capability isn't included. Detecting your heart rate on your iPhone button means holding your finger on the button, which likely means stopping your activity. Doing this will lead to lower-than-workout level heart rate readings and defeats the purpose. The best (and only way really) to get accurate, reliable, continuous measurement is with a chest strap that transmits to a watch (or perhaps to gym equipment).

Now, there could be some other uses for it, but it would be VERY niche.

6. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Apple already announced app developers will not have access to the fingerprint scanner.

7. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

Its just a fingerprint scanner. Medical applications? Are you serious? I think you have unrealistic expectations as to what this sensor can accomplish. This isn't Star Trek and it can't sequence your DNA.

If you want an exercise heart monitor, companies like Polar make them cheaply and they're fairly accurate combined with a chest sensor.

8. chestvrg thread starter macrumors 65816

chestvrg

LOL alright now. I just tought they could have incorporated other features besides just finger print scanning.

Just like android devices when they released NFC, it was initially intended for making payments, but now they use the teach moloch for transferring files, and other short wave radio feature. The same with infra red sensors (in the palm pilot days), uses to transfer contact cards, eventually led to the application of a TV remote via infrared (although back in those days the IR blasters were not powerful enough).

And so on... Now u don't mine buying a heart rate monitor for exercising, I already have this things that calculate walking steps (forget the names now), I can only imagine been jogging, pulling over a stope 3 secs. Reading my finger and there goes my heart rate at 160+, ...then continue jogging LOL