Heart rate spikes at start of Workout App run

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TxWatch, Dec 9, 2016.

1. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

I recently bought the HeartWatch App and have been tracking my heart rate during the day, at night and during my 60 min Workout App runs. I have been running for more than 20 years, so I am in excellent shape and do not have any heart related issues.

I noticed on my Workout App outdoor run today, the HR reading on the Watch showed my heart rate between 190-200 for the first 10 minutes of my run. At almost exactly 10 minutes, my heart rate drops down to a more normal 150 and then slowly climbs to a peak of 165, as expected. The temperature this morning was 36 degrees, which is unusually cold for Texas.

For my other two runs this week, I also saw unusual spikes at the start of my runs, but they were not as extreme and did not last as long before returning to normal.

Is this a known problem with the AW HR sensor when running? Today was the first really cold day, so maybe it is also temperature related?

2. Long Run Nick macrumors regular

I have no experience with the app you refer to. Wrist HR sensors, as well as HR straps can be a little temperamental when it is cold. I found making sure the contacts were wet with the strap, not a great feeling when you head outside. As far as wrist HR, you may need to tighten it a little more. If you notice your fingers turning blue the watch strap may be too tight or your fingers are getting frost bite:)

3. TxWatch thread starter macrumors 6502

TxWatch

It is not related to the HeartWatch App because I see the same HR readings on my phone. The App reads the health data recorded from the Watch and presents it to you in a very usable format. I am not sure how they were able to pack so much health information from my Watch and Phone into an App that only costs $2.99. It really looks like Apple wrote the App themselves. (Maybe Apple will decide to get serious about heart and sleep reporting someday)

On your point about the Watch tightness, I have been running with my Nike knock-off band one hole tighter than normal. The band leaves little hole indentations on my wrist, but they go away shortly after my run. My fingers do not turn blue. ;)

Have you ever noticed your heart rate spike up at the beginning of your many runs?

I ran with my AW S0 for a year, but I did not use the HR monitoring because I wanted to save my battery. I have nothing to compare these latest HR readings since I do not like the feeling of HR chest straps when I am running. I guess it is possible my heart is racing up to my Max Heart Rate (195) for ten minutes, but I did not feel overly tired during the run. Also, I did not really feel anything change when my Watch suddenly said my heart rate dropped by 40 bpm. It was just a normal 7 mile run and since it was cold, I had one of my best split times in many, many months. :D

4. Long Run Nick macrumors regular

I have used HR monitors since Polar introduced them- I don't even remember when- late 80's early 90's. Anyways, they have their quirks. Ususally they can sky rocket at the begining of a run, also the older versions would react to interference from various sources. In the old days if I ran with others who used HR straps that could screw up all our HR. I have had autos go by me and it caused the HR to jump.
    Believe me if you see a 195 HR reading starting off that normally is one of the quirks- unless your Max HR is near 300:)
    Like a lot of things HR not always 100% accurate- even with a strap. Overtime and experience you will be able to guess your HR as you run. I have gotten pretty good at guessing my HR on the run based on perceived effort. It is amazing that running over 85,000 miles has resulted in me getting a better fix on my body metrics. Nick

5. TxWatch thread starter macrumors 6502

TxWatch

I knew from using a HR chest strap on my first treadmill more than 20 years ago that my heart rate would go all the way up to 165 at the end of a run. (I was running a lot slower back then...) This is consistent with what I see today from my Watch, so I know I my max heart rate is around 190-195. I do not recall seeing spikes at the beginning of my treadmill runs, so I attributed it to the Apple HR wrist sensor.

I will keep an eye on it and see if the HR readings stay closer to "normal" when the weather warms up.