Heartrate Monitor OFF - BEST Battery Life!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Mapple86, May 8, 2015.

1. Mapple86 macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

maybe its not the best solution, but I tried to take off the constant Heart Rate Monitoring every 10 minutes.
    The Battery life now is really really good.

For Example:
    My 38mm Watch is now 5 hours off the charging cable and I am at 91% Battery.
    Yesterday after 13 hours, I was at 75% in the evening.
    With Heart Rate Monitor on, I was at 20-25% in the evening.

For me this is no problem, because I was not very interested in the health part of the Apple Watch.
    What do you think?

2. ipaine macrumors member

Sure, you saved some battery. But was there ever a problem if you still had 20-25% remaining at the end of the day?

3. oddysea992 macrumors member

Expected really; the optical HRS does use a lot of juice. Guess if you don't want the HR tracking then it makes sense to turn it off. I'd prefer to be able to adjust the interval from 10 mins to say every 60 mins. That way I'd get 18 or so readings a day that show in my health app on the iPhone.

4. d.steve macrumors regular

I'm not surprised it makes a significant difference, but I am surprised that it would be that much. So, just a bit more suspicious until there are a few more data points to corroborate.

That said, it doesn't really matter to be right now - I'd recharge every night anyway - but if there starts to be more useful stuff that eats battery and I can't make it easily through a day, the heart rate monitor would be one of the first things I'd turn off.

5. tylerdw89 macrumors 6502

6. mrboba1 macrumors regular

I agree. An adjustable interval of time is a great idea. If enough people mention this, Apple should add it in to an update.

I'd like the monitoring, but don't need 6 updates an hour.

7. dbknightx macrumors member

Guess what? If you turn the watch off entirely you'll be at 100% battery at the end of the day!

:cool:

Seriously though, why do people want to neuter the product to end up with more battery at the end of the day, when they had more than enough in the first place?

8. StophMac24 macrumors 6502

StophMac24

I think it is a wise way to conserve battery when you know you won't be able to charge it that night, however, I personally love the health tracking and I know that in order for the phone to properly calculate calories and what not, it uses my heart rate as part of its algorithms.

If you don't care for the feature, shut it off

9. mrboba1, May 8, 2015
    Last edited: May 8, 2015

mrboba1 macrumors regular

To lengthen the life of their watch?

Edit: on further thought - the HRM helps determine the caloric burn, and Apple probably determined 10 minutes as the optimal trade off between battery life and being useful for this purpose.

10. techno-Zen macrumors 6502

Oh no, only 20% left after a 15+ hour day! the humanity!!

11. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Because many of us couldn't give two ***** about heart rate. I run 50+ miles a week (200 a month), mostly on trails.. and I honestly don't give a crap about my heart rate.

12. Mapple86 thread starter macrumors regular

Well the 20% With Heart Rate on i reached without using the watch for any other thing than get push notifications.
    I believe with heart rate monitoring + a hard use of apps will drain the battery to under 10% after 6 hours.

Later, when apps are avaible like facebook, whatsapp which I would hardly use, I dont think the battery will last the whole day incl heart rate Monitoring.

Whag I dont like: only on or off is possible.
    I would like the possibility to use the heart rate monitor for a work out or anything else and just shut off the constant monitoring.
    You can shut it off on the iphone app > privacy? (In German: Datenschutz)

13. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

Same. Well, minus the 50+ miles part... But the don't give a **** part, that's me. I don't care about that feature, I love the other features, so if this gives me 2 days use on one charge, why wouldn't I try it? 20% at the end of the day is fine, but if you have a very heavy day of use, it means you will probably end up in power reserve mode. Why give juice to a feature you don't use?

14. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

If you don't use the health part, sure, why not. I don't care if I'm at 10% at the end of the night - that means it lasted all day. And I'm usually higher than that. So, I'm not turning off any features.

15. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Yep. Heart rate is pretty gimmicky. Unless you are a sponsored athlete and only train... that's your job, or have certain medical issues - there's really no need for it. Of course that's just my opinion, though.

16. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 6502a

half the reason i bought the watch was for the calorie and activity tracking... the part my phone can't do very well.

17. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

This trend of turning features off needs to stop.

"turn off wrist raise"
    "turn off hey siri"
    "turn off heart rate monitor"
    "don't use animated watch faces"

People are transforming the $350.00 Apple watch into a $80.00 Pebble watch slowly.

18. Mapple86 thread starter macrumors regular

Turned off hey siri too.
    Doesnt use siri often.
    Turn on by wrist raise must be on. As I was a Pebble owner I really miss the always on look :/

19. kovey macrumors 6502a

Just sell your apple watch and wear a pebble dumbwatch

20. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

As a Pebble owner what I don't miss are

crappy watch faces with jagged lines
    tapping the plastic screen for nothing to happen.

21. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

This is an honest question, not snarkiness. What is it that you need the Apple Watch for? You seem to be turning off all of the features.

22. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

Nor can the Watch, apparently.

23. SilentDoom macrumors member

But now you can't send digital heart taps to all of your buddies!!! Im not sure how you will ever be able to live without that! :p

----------

In all seriousness though, I have no reason to be looking at my heart rate. I don't care, like many of you. For some reason though, I look at the heart rate glance a few times a day and I get MAD when it says anything more than 10 minutes ago. Ha. I think body temperature would have been a cooler feature. Give me an alert as it goes over 100, or give me a reason to by my 1 year old one of her own(or hand my down)? Being able to see her temperature from my phone would be great.

24. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

I use it for the notifications, directions, messaging, and siri. I don't care about the fitness stuff. Could I do that on a pebble? Probably, but it would look like ****. I prefer Apple.

25. yuyueyuyue macrumors newbie

Haven't had enough time with the HR monitor, but from my previous experience from Mio Alpha, the green LEDs and the sensor don't use that much juice, always last me months between chargings...