Heathcare.gov...WORKS W/my Mac

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by palmharbor, Oct 31, 2013.

1. palmharbor macrumors 6502

Tried it tonight ...got right on...went from page to page...USING A MAC WITH 10.8.5 and Firefox....maybe I.E and a windows computer is the problem for those who cannot get on.........Those stogy old grayed hair Republicans should try a Mac....instead of Windows 95 and a dialup connection.

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Um, the website never had problems working on a mac vs. a PC. It's the server software....

3. palmharbor thread starter macrumors 6502

server

I was joking about the TeaBaggers using WIN 95 and dialup
    but the fact is...I got on and just maybe this site is fixed.
    I have never heard of a website that had unrepairable problems....until the Tea
    Baggers told us.

4. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

In the past, I've found if a webpage works in anything, its usually IE.

5. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I hope you're happy with this disaster called Obamacare. I'm not..

6. Rodster macrumors 68040

Congratulations on signing up. Shortly you should receive confirmation that you signed up as a pregnant middle age woman who migrated from Guam. :p

7. Tknull macrumors regular

Actually, you were joking about Republicans. I guess you think republicans and the tea party are the same thing? so funny.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The difference between the Congressional voting records of self-indentified TEA Party members and traditional Republicans is negligible to nonexistent.

9. Tknull macrumors regular

Well, i think you miss the point. The Tea "Party" endorses political candidates that most closely espouse their beliefs, like thousands of other politically oriented groups. For example, one belief commonly held by Tea Party members is that the government should be more responsible with the citizens money, and spend within their means (not putting the country more and more in debt). So it could "endorse" whichever candidate most agreed with that. To say that the two are interchangeable merely because they most often endorse a Republican would be like saying that all Democrats are Roman Catholic, since Roman Catholics usually endorse Democrats.

But more importantly, why do you feel the need to insult others who think/vote differently than you. Does calling someone a "Tea Bagger" make you feel better about yourself? Does saying all Republicans are all old.... whatever it was you said... using a really old computer and dial up internet... make you feel better about yourself? I would recommend that you be happy you live in a country that allows you and others to choose what you believe in, and to vote without fear. Many people that come on these forums live in countries that are not as lucky. To such people, or to people that have seen their political leanings evolve numerous times over the years, it is very sad to see such pointless ridicule.

10. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

We call youo tea baggers because you managed to change congressional rules and shut down the govenment because you didn't get your way. When you "tea baggers" start acting like adults and reealize that you are a minority then we'll talk again. All the effort spent in trying to repeal and defund the law should have gone into helping fix percieved problems. Tea Baggers have made this an issue for four years and have gotten exactly no where at some point I assume you'll figure out that you are not the voice of the "people".

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Why aren't you happy with it?

In my case, I was already getting insurance through my employer [State of California] so Obamacare has no effect on me.

(Though it is nice to know that if I ever do leave my job I can now get healthcare despite my wife's pre-existing condition that would likely make her uninsurable.)

How has it affected you?

----------

I've called them tea baggers because that's what they originally called themselves ...

until they found out the other use for that term.

Pick your monikers carefully.

12. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

My company dropped our insurance and we now shop for it on a website. I pay a little more now. My wife's insurance rates have went up pretty dramatically for the same coverage. We are lowering our coverage to be able to afford it better.

And tea baggers has always been a derogatory term for Tea Partiers, which is what they have always called themselves. I'm not a Tea Partier, but I certainly support more fiscal responsibilty from our govt. Neither political party really supports that at this point.

Perhaps that's enough political talk for a Mac forum.

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If you're paying more to get less then I understand how you'd be unhappy.

Perhaps you can throw your support behind Universal Healthcare so we can finally solve this problem the right way.

I hope Obamacare is just the first step towards Universal Healthcare.

It's PRSI. Political talk is why we're here.

14. lannister80, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013

lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

I hope they've added the $ they used to use to subsidize your insurance to your paycheck, otherwise your employer is screwing you.

15. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

You don't like "Tea Bagger"? What do you propose to call "members" of this "movement"? In any case, it is an established fact that racism (in the US) is a function of age, and that older (ageing, whatever-- like me) racists are much more likely to be Republicans (these days) and vote Republican. (See Pew Research and many other polls, already posted in these threads at great length in the past.)

That is a statistical statement, of course. If you consider yourself a "Tea Party" "member" (adherent?), what reasons do you personally have?

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Good point.

That could be a significant loss of compensation.

17. Tknull macrumors regular

Nah, I am not a member of the Tea Party. In fact, i'm not very political to say the least... I find it too frustrating. For this very reason: I get to see people be so hateful about it. But as to your question about what I propose to call them... how about what they have chosen to call themselves, the Tea Party...? Is that really difficult to do?

All your other stuff is nonsense. The registered voting population in the United States is split pretty evenly between Republicans and Democrats. See: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_percent_of_registered_voters_are_republican

Obviously both sides have young, middle aged, and older people. It is absolutely ridiculous to try and decide whose "older people" are more racist. In fact, a short while back I had a guy tell me that I had to hate Mexican people, since I lean Republican (here on the border in San Diego immigration is a bigger topic). I didn't bother to tell him that my wife is Mexican, and I speak spanish fluently, and have spent a considerable amount of time outside the US.

I find it amusingly frustrating however, seeing people that bash beliefs like those held by a group like the Tea Party, when they share/exercise those exact same beliefs in their personal lives. Who teaches their children that it is a good idea to spend far more money than they earn, going far into debt? Noone, they teach their children to budget, and spend wisely. Who teaches their children that personal accountability is a bad thing?

Anyhow, I never should have posted here. It's usually a good indicator when people use terms like "Tea Bagger" or attach terms like "Racist" to people that disagree with them on pretty general topics, they are in no way open to rational conversation.

18. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Fiscal conservatives who identify with the Tea Party are being mislead. "Social conservatives" are a grab-bag of various people, some of whom are racists, religious bigots, homophobic. A few weeks ago, a group of "Tea Party" demonstrators allowed/marched behind a man waving a Confederate flag right up to the White House, where he stood waving the flag. I have zero respect for the views of those confused, mislead, angry folks.

I'm not sure what you mean by "whose older people". This graph might help you understand my point. If it makes you feel better, there are racists of all races. And ages. But yes, as a matter of fact, people my age and above are significantly more racist than people under 30:

[​IMG]

Race is a social construct. Biologically, it is, literally, skin deep. But, distrust of "the other" runs deep in humanity. All kinds of things may be the focus. Race, religion, nationality, language (look up the origin of "shibboleth"). Sexuality. As "race" has been forced into the background, other things become more prominent. Gay men. Arabs.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505267_162-57475483/

Speaking of which, the aforementioned Michele Bachmann was one of the founders of the Tea Party Caucus in Congress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_Party_Caucus

Some Tea Partiers are great admirers of her and the principles of the Caucus, while the more normal, non-racist, fiscal conservatives, not so much.

I wonder what Michele Bachmann would have made of Philip Habib, an Arab-American who was considered "the outstanding professional diplomat of his generation in the United States." It seems so long ago ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Habib

I attach the word "racist" to racists. Here is one dictionary definition of racism:

19. Tknull macrumors regular

I am not going to get into a debate about racism with you. My initial point is that it is not appropriate to use terms such as Tea Baggers. If you feel its okay and appropriate to do so, fine, its a free country. And if you can't see how that is engaging in the very same behavior that you are trying to attribute to other people (such as racism, which is having a bias against someone based on ethnicity)... oh well. Good day to you sir.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm curious.

What's your opinion on the Washington Redskins and their name?

21. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

You'd make for a good politician. Now, why don't we continue talking about more relevant issues to politics.

22. Tknull macrumors regular

Haha, yea... nice subject change!

No opinion. I used to live in Northern Va a number of years back, rooted on the Redskins. But i'm a Seahawks fan at heart. And as far as I know, no seahawks have been offended by their name as of yet. But I remember that the Sonics (before the team moved :( ) dropped the Super from Super Sonics. I guess that made non-super people take offense. :D

23. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

When your premiums skyrocket thanks to this bill, I hope you listen to the tea party for once (Assuming of course, you actually work). But no, you'll probably just blame Bush.

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    And why, exactly, will this bill cause our premiums to skyrocket? I mean within the confines of the bill itself, not from insurance companies jacking their prices up, then going "olol obamacare".

25. Zellio, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013

Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

Because the way it worked in the past was that you could be signed up for only the type of healthcare you needed. The new law makes you subsidize everyone else's medical care. That's why premiums are sky rocketing for pretty much everyone.

Let's understand a simple fact here. Our healthcare system was broken only because of 3 things:

1. Frivolous lawsuits
    2. Fat people who constantly eat at mcdonalds
    3. Preexisting conditions

All of your liberal talking points you guys get as MSNBC about other countries and socialized medical care doesn't change 1 and 2, which are issues that are largely American issues. The lawsuits are basically a snowball effect, as doctors take more money from you and insurance companies in case they get sued, and then insurance companies raise rates, etc.

As far as 2, we have over one third obese. Now that stat is going by BMI, which is BS and basically lumps body builders like me in with the fatties. But either way, the fat problem IS THERE, and is an epidemic. These people need to work out and eat less, and take responsibility for their lives, instead this bill allows them to continue eating way too much and building up medical bills on everyone's back.

But this medical bill doesn't solve the problem (Well, number 3 is somewhat solved, unless of course your medical care is cancelled). This bill is basically a gift to the insurance companies. To use a cable analogy, you are basically going from what was very close to ala cart tv channels to a huge overpriced premium cable channel collection. The only problem is most people don't need most of these channels.