Hector Ruiz Keynote

canadianmacguy

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2002
All a ploy...

I bet it was just a ploy to get Mac users to click to their site - increase traffic, sell some more ads..

:(

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
"All of us here today must make a choice," said Ruiz. "We can continue to do business the old way, or we can choose a new direction to move the technology industry as a whole forward. I urge you to demand that those companies who are currently serving you today begin developing technology not for its own sake. Not in isolation from the real world. But in line with what you are really trying to do."
Sounds like someone wants to take the focus off the fact that AMD is falling behind in the mhz wars.....;) ;)

beno

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2002
As if...

...Apple was going to leave an announcement this big to Hector Ruiz (who?)...

*rolleyes*

bluecell

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2002
cleveland:oh
I'm still not convinced that there isn't anything to the Apple/AMD rumors. I'd expect Steve Jobs to make that kind of an announcement, not Hector Ruiz. It is a little odd that there were quite a few people from Apple at Comdex with no exhibit. Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait until Macworld SF to know if there is anything to it.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
No way! Another x86 rumor that had no basis in reality? How can this be? :rolleyes:

amichalo

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2001
Baseless article?

So why, when the Keynote followup has NO mention of Apple, was this rumor even started? The PRESENCE of Apple employees near the AMD booth at COMDEX? Hell, they have to stand SOMEWHERE.

Does anyone see ANY AMD/APPLE connection at all in this speach? If not, any other basis for this rumor? What was so industry shattering anyway?

reyesmac

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
Everytime a rumor of faster machines comes around the whole Mac web goes crazy. This is not good, I hope Apple knows that we are not satisfied paying top dollar for their machines and do something about it. Even if they started fixing all their problems today, it would still be over a year until all their machines are up to date. So, it doesnt look like things are going to change much in the short term or the long term.

3-22

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2002
Jeesh...

Speaking as a current AMD owner, and reading some of the postings about the earlier x86 switch rumor... There might be a little "grass is greener on the other-side" going on...

If they switched to AMD, you would complain your new iMac sounds like a jet engine. You would be able to cook eggs on the case. You would hate the lack of Antivec, and how none of the current software you use now works on the new platform. You would complain because software makers that do recompiled for OSX/x86, want money for an upgrade.

Apple is still dragging some OS9 users & developers tooth-n-nail into OS X. Apple could not handle the strain of an x86 switch, I just don't see it.

Anyway, that's my $0.02... I'll continue waiting for a 1+ GHz iMac....

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Re: Baseless article?

Originally posted by amichalo
So why, when the Keynote followup has NO mention of Apple, was this rumor even started? The PRESENCE of Apple employees near the AMD booth at COMDEX? Hell, they have to stand SOMEWHERE.
I heard that several Apple employees were seen hanging out in the men's room at Comdex. What can this mean??? Apple must be merging with American Standard! The next digital lifestyle device will be called the iPot. Snow is out -- the new Macs will be stunning Porcelain White with nickel-plated handles! Tap the "eject" key and...

Hawthorne

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
In front of my Mac
This is the way a rumour ends. Not with a bang,

But with a whimper.

(with apologies to T.S. Eliot)

I look forward to the day when all the Mac OS X on generic x86 boxes rumours are over. Apple is too concerned with total user experience to allow its OS to be sullied by running on someone's homebuilt, baling twine and duct-tape PC. And for all of those that complain about costs, with the price drops on Powerbooks and iBooks, Apple has never been more affordable. Spec out comparably equipped x86 laptop if you don't believe me.

macphisto

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2002
At home
Well, I was not holding my breath for anything. In fact, I was kinda glad, that is unless AMD had a little something secret in store, but alas it was not.

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
Re: This is the way a rumour ends. Not with a bang,

Originally posted by Hawthorne
Spec out comparably equipped x86 laptop if you don't believe me.
I have. It really depends on what you want. Overall the PC laptops beat the ibooks. The ibook would be perfect for my needs if it would just accept up to 1 GB of ram. 640MB is too small and may as well be a desposable laptop after a year or two. To spend another $1000 on a Powerbook just for the ability to get a max of 1GB ram is ridiculous.

iapple

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2001
Re: Re: This is the way a rumour ends. Not with a bang,

Originally posted by Cappy

I have. It really depends on what you want. Overall the PC laptops beat the ibooks. The ibook would be perfect for my needs if it would just accept up to 1 GB of ram. 640MB is too small and may as well be a desposable laptop after a year or two. To spend another $1000 on a Powerbook just for the ability to get a max of 1GB ram is ridiculous.
Ya, but you get a LOT more than just having a max ram of 1GB. Waaay more, if you look at graphics memory, the CPU power, just about everything.

Also, you can't compare the PowerBook with some PC laptop with the specs of the iBook, even if it might have 1GB of RAM!

Booga

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2002
why x86 rumors

The reason these rumors are so persistent is because Apple's boxes are so incredibly slow. AltiVec is better than 3DNow but not THAT much better. PowerPC is faster per MHz but not THAT much faster. All in all, an x86 Mac would be so much faster than today's hardware at the same price that it would make a Mac-lover cry.

And I don't know why people assume an x86 Mac would be a generic x86 box. Of course it wouldn't; it would be an Apple Mac with an x86 processor.

Yes, the transition would be difficult, which is why this will unfortunately not happen soon. However, my assertion has always been that Apple really needs to move the xServe and MacOS X Server to x86, or x86-64 or IA64, as soon as possible, but that the desktops can't move yet because of application software compatibility. Server software has the insanely high margins and "compile and run" mentality required to make it feasible. Home users just want everything to work unmodified.

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
Re: Re: Baseless article?

Originally posted by IJ Reilly

I heard that several Apple employees were seen hanging out in the men's room at Comdex. What can this mean??? Apple must be merging with American Standard! The next digital lifestyle device will be called the iPot. Snow is out -- the new Macs will be stunning Porcelain White with nickel-plated handles! Tap the "eject" key and...

Finally, the perfect accessory for my Bill Gates toilet paper.

T-Force

macrumors newbie
Re: why x86 rumors

Originally posted by Booga
The reason these rumors are so persistent is because Apple's boxes are so incredibly slow. AltiVec is better than 3DNow but not THAT much better. PowerPC is faster per MHz but not THAT much faster. All in all, an x86 Mac would be so much faster than today's hardware at the same price that it would make a Mac-lover cry.

That will change with PPC 970 with VML integretion:)

matznentosh

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2002
Most of the industry comparisons of laptops, and I believe desktops as well, seem to make a G4 1 ghz cpu roughly as fast as a 1.8 ghz Pentium 4. Although it is therefore possible to get a pentium that is faster in a pc laptop, for most models on the market the Powerbook is quite competitive.

I'm not sure why there is so much vituperation about how slow the mac is on these forums. Games play plenty fast on my Tibook 800 dvi, web surfing using Chimera is as fast as on a pc. Perhaps the people complaining are doing specialized computing, like 3d animation raytracing and the like. If I were them, I'd use an Iris or other specialized computing platform for those purposes (I have a nephew who does just that).

Or maybe people just like to complain.:rolleyes:

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
It's not that Apple's computers are SLOW, it's that they are SLOWER than comparatively priced (sometimes even cheaper) PCs. Macs are superior in audio/video/graphics, but it would be nice if they were faster. For people doing these types of things, we need all the speed we can get.

And not all of us can afford those super-expensive systems.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Walt Disney Animation Studios
How the rumors were started....

AMDZone got wind of a partnership with Apple and AMD and wrote a small synospsis about it in their Comdex coverage. No, it had nothing to do with Apple employees hanging around the AMD booth, or anything else that silly.

Plus, the fact that Apple had a stronger presence than usual at the comdex show fueled the fire.

Here's the link

Its under the heading about Bill Gate's keynote.