Hedge funds make £13bn loss - Porsche officially the sneakiest F'kers of all

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Oct 29, 2008.

1. iGav macrumors G3

I... CAN'T... HEAR... YOU... the sound of all those executive toys been thrown from their prams is deafening. :D

*Muffles laughter*...

*I cannot take much more Captain*...

*Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha*

Quick, someone call Bob Geldof!

2. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Trying to short shares in a company where another company holds 50% of the shares and is cash rich seems to me one of the more stupid bets to take on.

3. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

From what I can make out, until last Sunday, traders were under the impression that Porsche only owned 35% of VW, whilst the state of Lower Saxony owns 20.1%.

Then later on the Sunday, Porsche actually announced it owned 42.6%, as well as options for a further 31.5%, which they were't required to disclose because they were held and settled in cash (and are not required to be disclosed in Germany), all this meant that it turned out that there was only somewhere in the region of 5 or so % of shares available, hence the sneaky of sneakiest bit. :p

4. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I haven't looked at the prices today but I assume they're all fighting to buy that last 5%,capitalism in tooth and claw indeed.

( it appears Porsche are going to sell 5% of their shares to get the shorters out of the hole which is a shame)

5. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

If there are less shares available than the traders need to close their positions, then obviously some of them won't be able to close their positions, no matter what price they are willing to pay. So what happens to the traders when they can't close their positions? Do they get sent to prison?

I find derivatives so hellishly complicated... :confused:

6. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

From the wee age of 13 playing need for speed hot pursuit, i have hated porsche.

So this makes my day :D

7. Queso macrumors G4

Truly wonderful. Hopefully Porsche will only offer help in return for shares in the hedge funds themselves. Any hedge funds who think it's still a good idea to short individual stocks should learn from this. There are always bigger fish out there, and you have no idea what deals they may already have in place.

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

especially funny is how the short seller amount was around 12 percent or something .. which is quite a bit more than 5-6% which were actively available

and how they bet on VW loosing value since for months porsche is rumored to buy up more shares and take over .. and mentioned over and over again in the media .. and yet this hedge fonds manager still fall into this trap ? especially with a company where lot of shares are concentrated in few spots ?

for porsche it's of course pure money making .. they are now gonna sell 5-7% of the shares to those who need them (at a stock price nearly double as high) and then next year when the stock is down again they gonna start buying again

scary fact: VW stock rose so much that in the end 30% of the german dax was just VW ... and VW happen to be the most valuable company of the world

9. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Make that 18bn…

Hedge funds make £18bn loss on VW

Link…

10. Evangelion macrumors 68040

You can bet that Porsche will make metric assload of money in doing that. They will be laughing all the way to the bank. Hell, for few days VW was the most valuable company in the world, surpassing Exxon-Mobil. Their stock-price sure looks interesting: link

I honestly don't have much sympathy for the funds and traders. They make their money by gaming the system and selling things they don't actually own. And now they whine when Porsche soundidly thrashed them at their own game. Well, cry me a river.

I bet that Volkswagen will be used as a subject of education and research in the future.

EDIT: From the linked BBC-article:

Brilliance, pure brilliance.

11. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Other numbers that I read: Volkswagen was about 30% of all German publicly traded companies, and its valuation was higher than all other car manufacturers together :D

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

They can close their positions eventually. Let's say someone has borrowed 10,000 shares and sold them. He can buy say 1000 shares at a high price, return them to the lender, who has then 1000 shares. Then he can buy those 1000 shares at a higher price and return them to the lender. Repeat eight more times, each time at a higher price. :D

13. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Excellent, my Passat is now a Porsche :)

As for hedge funds losing, I really don't give a sh*t.