Heeelp! girlfriend threw my iMac through my livingroom! Need parts!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Lawrence007, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Lawrence007, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2011

Lawrence007 macrumors newbie

Okay guys you're not going to believe this! Last weekend I had a fight with my girl. Wanted to throw her out of my house: girfriend pulls my flat screen of the TV-table --> LCD ruined! Then the unleashed demon throws the glass plate of the table in the living room towards my 27" iMac! Poor thing falls from my office desk. Nothing on it! I put it back and go upstairs to call the cops. She threw it of the desk once more! Except for a few bumps and scratches, still nothing on it! I put it back again and push her away, girfriend throws it through the living room! This time, the glass breaks, the foot got bent and the chassis is damaged aesthetically. Believe it or not, the poor thing still works!! So now I am in need of a new chassis to move the parts in it... Anyone? Tried iFixit: nothing. The local apple dealer says this: sure we can deliver: 300 euro plus 4 hours labour to relocate the parts. So I say: don't bother: I will build over parts myself. They say: no you won't because we don't sell these spare parts to customers. Only if we do it.... Althoug I don't like this, I can understand. Apple wouldn't want an iMac chassis getting sold with PC parts in it... Anyone can help me here?

Meanwhile I purchased another one which has the newer i5 cpu@3,1Ghz while the older and abused model had the first i7@2,8GhZ. Benchmarked, the newer i5 model seems faster than the older i7 Only the thread test is faster on the i7.

I'd apprecieate help!

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

dont think the cost of most of those parts would warrant to be reassembled, as they are pretty pricey to begin with.
    if you already are getting a new iMac, scrap the previous one for parts or have the demon pay for it.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

That's what happens when u come on to her best mate...

I kid I kid...

Anyway if you have called the cops and reported it claim on your house insurance

4. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Now that is personal .. wow, I think it's gonna be tough claim to Apple even you have Applecare... The damage wasnt caused by manufacturing defect .. it' purely GF's defect.

But that is some interesting store .. I have a sympathy for OP, but I can't help to smile a bit .. sorry, imagining that thing happens is truly funny :)

5. dgr, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  6. Lawrence007, Jul 1, 2011

Lawrence007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys thx for quick answers. I am trying to have the insurance pay for it now. Naturally I can't hold Apple responsible for things like this. If the insurance pays, I'll be happy... And no I did not make a move to her best friend :) To be honest, you'd not find a chick so hot as she is but that attitude man! She was like a tornado in my house! She ruined my 42" LCD, the iMac, my Bose surround speakers which were in front of the TV got damaged slightly and last but not least: the ironing machine got smacked as well! I'm telling you man, this girl went berzerk! Never seen anything like that! That's what alcohol does to some people guys!

Have a nice weekend :)

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Dude.
    That was probably one of the most intense [read: awesome] posts I've read on this forum, haha. I can only imagine the atmosphere when all that stuff was flying around in your house.

Sorry to hear about what happened though, lol. I would take it to Apple, explain your story, and see what they can do for you. The employee might feel sympathetic for you and find an excuse to give you a discounted repair quote. It's worth a shot since Apple has, more often that not, been known for having nice support.

8. mojobebop, Jul 1, 2011

mojobebop macrumors newbie

juno

--------
    i appreciate your plight. some years ago my girlfriend threw my juno 60 synthisizer at me across the room. (that's 26 lbs). & broke the middle c key.

9. MacHamster68, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

dont thow it away just yet , you get a new one so you got time to wait until one day one turns up on ebay with some internal parts broken

and remember for the future first to throw out the GF, before she has a chance to devellop hysteria , if you wait to long you see now what happens .. GF's are time bombs ;)

10. caughtintheweb macrumors regular

Get a good lawyer, sue your girlfriend and a get an i7 with SSD as settlement :).

11. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

The only one to hold responsible is your girl. She should have to pay to replace everything she damaged. Simple as that.

12. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

That's what happens when you let them out the kitchen.....sorry, couldn't help it:D

13. Sjmarcy macrumors newbie

Be very careful.

The US has domestic violence laws (which this is…) that assume that DV is *only* male on female.

I do Father's/Mens right work (volunteer) and have come across many in your shoes who called the cops who then arrested THEM. Then they wind up with an arrest record…a few days in jail…and many make the huge mistake of pleading guilty to lesser charges in a deal with the prosecutor so that they can get out of the hell hole faster. Good luck in future employment and background checks with an arrest record and a guilty plea.

I have had so many people come up to me over time who say something like "You were right…I thought you were exaggerating…"

Much of the outcome to these sorts of things depends on how sneaky / vindictive your girl can be. If she wants to and can stay convincing this could hurt you badly. Get her to admit she has a problem, get her counseling / anger management so that this is documented. That will protect you and help her.

14. 7thMac macrumors 6502

Actions like this have consequences. If she is still your GF I'm sure she will be happy to replace these items. Otherwise, request that she reimburse you or consider using small claims court.

15. daneoni, Jul 1, 2011
  16. DarthMoops macrumors regular

17. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

18. Brown Trout macrumors member

First order of business - replace the GF before you give her anything else to bust up.

19. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

my favorite part was "then the unleashed demon.."

great thread.

20. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

21. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

I'm sure you could sue her and claim for damages?

22. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Haha, I couldn't agree more. It was funnier before the "b" word was replaced by "girl/girlfriend" in the OP.

23. Reevsaj macrumors newbie

Give her the bill. If that doesn't work, sue her.

24. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

And if that doesn't work, bake her a cake with one of those comedy boxing gloves in it that punches her in the face when she tries to take a slice.

25. seniorgeek macrumors member

Whatever you do, do not marry this person.